How deep should be flywheel installed?

DomasMX

Apr 16, 2009
Hi guys,
I am trying to install the flywheel on my Honda CR 125 2002 and it doesn't go fully on the crankshaft. You can see in the photo that it still could go about 1mm deeper. However, I tried to heat the flywheel and freeze the crank and it didn't help. I also tried to install it deeper by tightening flywheel nut but it didn't work either. Although I don't remember how it was installed before disassebling. The crank and flywheel are both Honda OEM.

Should I just leave it or something is wrong? How is it on your bikes?

fly.jpg

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
it is only going to go on as far as the taper would allow it to fit. same flywheel,same crank? if it is, from the picture it looks good to me just torque the nut to spec

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Yeah, what he said..

After you put torque the nut, put the cover on and see if the flywheel rubs.. If not, you should be good to go.

6pac

Mar 10, 2010
DomasMX said:
Hi guys,
I am trying to install the flywheel on my Honda CR 125 2002 and it doesn't go fully on the crankshaft. You can see in the photo that it still could go about 1mm deeper. However, I tried to heat the flywheel and freeze the crank and it didn't help. I also tried to install it deeper by tightening flywheel nut but it didn't work either. Although I don't remember how it was installed before disassebling. The crank and flywheel are both Honda OEM.

Should I just leave it or something is wrong? How is it on your bikes?

Humm, that doesn,t look quite right to me, are you sure the Woodruff Key is located properly?
If the rotor isn,t snug on the taper I,d expect the engine to vibrate like crazy when its running, if it doesn,t maybe its just the way the rotors been machined & its meant to be like that. Its hard to tell from the picture but is that gap the same all the way round the shaft or is it just where you,ve highlighted it with the lines?

Also
Have you tried to start the engine yet?

6pac

Mar 10, 2010
The key could be skewed in the slot though, let me see If I can find a pic to explane what I mean.

6pac

Mar 10, 2010
Excuse my sad drawing but does this make sence?
The key pivots in the slot and prevents the rotor sitting flush on the shaft.

Attachments

• hg.jpg
    hg.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 153

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
I see what you mean ...good point but the original poster was complaining about it being a mm off. I was assuming( you know the word assume) that the complaint (and picture kinda shows) that the ledge of the flywheel the nut "squeezes" against was a mm step to the beginning step of the crank. My thought is that the nut cannot touch flush against the crank for if the nut tightens against the step you lose your preload against the taper and a mm would not be that far off.

any how how about if the original poster showed a couple of more pictures from different angles. I would like to see it straight on to see if there was any gap between the crank and flywheel.

DomasMX

Apr 16, 2009
Thank you all for the replies, really helped. It turned out to be my silly mistake. It doesn't have to go any deeper, it should be like is now. Easy to check, I assembled all the ignition and then looked where small metal nipple touches magnet while it's turning. Theres is some black trace left and now that nipple touches it again in the same spot. So everything is fine and I hope it will run ok :)

Top Bottom