How do I do a quick fork oil change?

BCooper

Aug 9, 2000
Can someone tell me how I can do a quick fork oil change? My brother-in-law wants to change the fork oil in his 2001 YZ250 and I told him I would help him IF HE WOULD GIVE ME A HAND WITH CHANGING ONE OF MY REAR TIRES.(I think I'm getting the better end of the deal) :p Anyway, I have changed the fork seals and oil in my 2001 WR, so I have the "know how" to do that, BUT, if he just wants the oil changed, Is it necessary to disassemble the forks and then re-install the seals or is there an easier way?
Coop

I bet this has been asked and answered many times; however, I couldn't find anything on it in the archives.

Last edited:

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
Coop
Although I wouldn't recommend a "quickie" oil change as this doesn't clean the valving you can do it like this: Take the springs out and dump all the oil. Then take the base valve out and pump the cartridge several times. This will get rid of most of the oil then just put the base valve back in and refill. You do not need to take the seals out.

Just for record though I always diassemble the comp. & rebound valving and clean during an oil change.

doc

sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
How do you guys recommend dealing with the nuts that retain the valve stacks (the threaded sections after the nut that are flared)? What would be the proper way to initially remove the nut to prevent damaging anything in the process? Then, what method is preferred to retain the nut when the forks are reassembled (locktite, switch to a nylon-lined locknut, etc.)?

Thanks,
Bob

shockdoc

May 3, 2001
You either need a lathe or a bench grinder. If you use the bench grinder make sure it has a new fine grit wheel with sharp edges & be very careful. You want to use blue locktight after that.

doc

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
make sure you fill the bleed orifice with grease to stop the small metal particles or grindings from accumulating when you start grinding, then go back and clean the grease out.:D

Top Bottom