250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
How does one go about upgrading from a geeky backwoods trail rider on a bike way too huge for her to racing??How do you get into racing??And how good of a rider do you have to be??I have never even been on a track,or gone over a jump(on purpose anyways).All of these technical instructions on how to ride a bike through corners and over jumps and how much gas to give it when and where confuse the heck out of me.I never learned to ride like that.I just went out alone on the 250(which I was utterly terrified of for the first 4 months)and hung on for dear life.I have been riding the trails almost every day for about 3 years now,and have learned how to handle it a lot better,and not drop it when I stop :laugh:But I love going fast,and would love to get into racing or freestyle jumping.So do I have any chance of ever racing,or do I have to be a more experienced rider?

And if I can do it,how do I get into it?And are you required to have certain protective gear? I currently ride in jeans,runners and whatever shirt I happen to be wearing(I have quite a few injuries and scars to show for my lack of gear).The only gear I have is a new helmet,gloves and a pair of way too huge biking boots that I don't wear.

One more question,is there a minimum size/height for riders who want to race on a 250?I am about 5'6'' or 7'' and weigh roughly 135,more when I am more fit and in shape(it is winter,I am being lazy and out of shape) :nod:

I am sorry if I sound a little dumb,I know nothing about racing.But any info would be greatly appriciated,thanks everybody,

250girl

Last edited:

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
Start Racing:
1. Find a track you can visit regularly.
2. Go to open practice every chance you get.
3. Master ONE track first.
4. Register to race that track on the weekends.
5. Start winning in the beginner class
6. Find a new track and repeat 1-5.
7. Step up a class

do NOT start any of these steps until you have the proper gear. The first thing on your list should be a pair boots!!! These are not for style by any means. I wont even start my bike without them on.

How worn is your helmet? It is a cheapy? Do not put a price tag on your skull! Buy a decent helmet.

Invest in a chest protector. It can help protect from injuries and will protect you from roost (which you will get in a race) Don't know what roost means? See glossary...

You do not need to be a particular size to race a 250, but you will have a lot more control on a smaller bike like a 125cc 2-stroke Mxer than you will on a 250.

Riding a track is a lot more physically demanding and skilled than blasting through the woods. (This is MY opinion which I am entitled too! haha).

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I just purchased a new helmet a couple months ago.I got it brand new from the bike shop and it is an HJC fang helmet.As far as I know,that isn't a bad helmet,is it?

And I know I really do need boots,or at least that's what the huge lump(s) of scar tissue up the inside of my right leg is telling me.I din't realize how much damge I could do with a kickstart.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I second the statement about protective gear. I am surprised that you haven't seriously hurt yourself already.

The concept of racing is to push the limit. That can be the limit of the track, the bike, or your own ability. The only way of knowing the limit is to occasionally exceed it, which can be a little painful. Your chances of getting up and dusting yourself off are greatly increased if you have the protective gear. And remember, it's not just you, there will be other racers that will contribute to your crash.

Get a good pair of boots and a chest protector. I recommend knee pads.

The next step is to just go find a race and enter.

If you have a local track that has club races that would be a good place to start. Entry fees aren't much and the competition is friendly. You may find that due to the general lack of women racers that they will race several classes together, so you might be racing against much smaller bikes. This might be a little embarassing if you get lapped by a bike with half your power.....

Don't let it bother you. Ride your race to the best of your ability and don't concern yourself with anyone else. Consider it a race against yourself, work for your own personal best. Enjoy the experience, don't worry about where you finished.

After you have a few races behind you then you can start thinking about venturing out into more competitive / larger events.

Rod

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
So, it looks like you are in Canada. Don't know what kind of tracks you have around there, but there are some here in Western NY that may be close, depending on where you are in Canada (near Toronto?).

Get the right gear, even for trail riding. MX boots that fit well, goggles, MX pants/jersey, good helmet (DOT certified at a minimum, but look for Snell certification as well - most tracks want to see that also), a chest protector, and gloves. Everything else is optional, in my opinion, but these are the minimum. There's lots more gear available, such as kidney belts (which I wear), knee/elbow pads, knee braces, leatt neck braces, neck rolls, etc. Trust me, it's worth every penny to have good gear.

Getting into MX (which I'm assuming is the type of racing you are talking about, there are other kinds, such as GNCC, ISDE, Hare Scrambles, etc.) is easy. You will need the gear regardless. Find a local sanctioning body (the people that run the race series you want to try) and they will guide you through the relatively easy process of signing up. There will most likely be a fee of some sort (it's $40 per person for us), and you will get to pick a number for your bike (out of what's available). You will need to learn the rules and flags and such, but they usually give you a handbook that explains all of that. I will say this - racing every weekend can get expensive!

And all of the previous advice is also great.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Try to contact Justalonewolf she prowls the womens forum mostly about advice from a new women/racer. She started racing last summer and did it on her own so I am sure she will have a wealth of female perspective to give you.

Safety equipment is the most important thing you can do and to go cheap or skip is not smart on an MX track. AMA rules state you MUST HAVE on at the start of the race- A helmet, Goggle and leather boots above the ankle. It is recommended you also have on gloves and a chest protector. Fancy riding jerseys and pants do not make you faster but do make you more comfortable and deals can be found on line looking at last seasons lines.
Make sure everything on your bike is in good repair and everything is tight. Try to get together with someone that already races and hit a track for a practice day before your first race- maybe go watch a race just to make sure you have a clue what happens during the day.
Most of all your first season try beating yourself and not everyone on the track. Set realistic goals and then challenge yourself.
Most importantly have fun- you are not going to make a living racing so do not let it eat at you just because you got lapped by that little kid on a 65cc bike :nod:

Apr 30, 2007
Heya 250girl! You've come to the right place! While I'm not a pro racer, I was in your shoes not so long ago and might be able to offer a little help!

250girl said:
How does one go about upgrading from a geeky backwoods trail rider on a bike way too huge for her to racing??

First off, it's hard work, and not a simple upgrade. Luckily, you've gotten past one of the hardest steps for any female! You're already riding, and judging by what I've read, you can handle a clutch already!

Here's the next step though - Get a good solid pair of boots! I made the mistake of not doing this, and I was limping for weeks. I was lucky not to have broken my leg!

250girl said:
How do you get into racing?? And how good of a rider do you have to be??

The first question here is a little difficult to answer without a little more background info on your behalf. Is there a local track just down the road? Have you gone to any races? Do you have friends or people at your school or workplace that race?

If you know of someone in your area, talk to them!! Ask questions! Whatever you do, don't let them tell you that you don't have the skills to race! Motocross is a learning process, and you have to start somewhere! Go to a track, and find out practice times! When you arrive, take your time and check things out.

250girl said:
I have never even been on a track,or gone over a jump(on purpose anyways). All of these technical instructions on how to ride a bike through corners and over jumps and how much gas to give it when and where confuse the heck out of me. I never learned to ride like that. I just went out alone on the 250(which I was utterly terrified of for the first 4 months)and hung on for dear life.I have been riding the trails almost every day for about 3 years now,and have learned how to handle it a lot better,and not drop it when I stop :laugh: But I love going fast,and would love to get into racing or freestyle jumping.

This is where things get interesting! Once you have some gear - boots, long pants, long sleeved shirt, helmet, and goggles at bare minimum!!! - Load up your 250 and visit a practice session at a track!

Watch other people to see what they do - ask lots of questions! If it looks like there's too much to handle all at once, don't force it!

This is where you put on your gear, and take your bike out for a lap. Don't worry about cornering, don't worry about doing jumps, don't worry about riding fast!

Just hold your line!

All that means is to keep your bike under *your* control, and DON'T try to move out of the way when other riders pass you.

When you crash, pick the bike up and jump back on! (I have been known to take a bow or two if I make it a spectacularly goofy crash :) )

250girl said:
So do I have any chance of ever racing,or do I have to be a more experienced rider?

If you can keep the bike under your control after the first lap or so, then absolutely! If not, don't sweat it! Just take a little time practicing things like going over bumps and hills or riding through ditches. Show up and try again!

Don't expect to be a superstar your first race! You may get lapped! As long as you're having a good time, and staying safe, there are no problems!

250girl said:
And if I can do it..
You can do it!

250girl said:
...are you required to have certain protective gear? I currently ride in jeans,runners and whatever shirt I happen to be wearing(I have quite a few injuries and scars to show for my lack of gear).The only gear I have is a new helmet,gloves and a pair of way too huge biking boots that I don't wear.

Yes there is required gear!

For "my" races last year, the organizers required: Full coverage helmet (DOT approved!) with shield or goggles, over the ankle boots (motocross boots preferred for your own protection), full arm and leg coverage, chest protector for riders under 18.

Gear that was reccommended for all riders: Gloves, Chest Protector, Elbow pads, Knee pads, Neck protection, Kidney belt.

Check with their rules - as different tracks require different gear!

250girl said:
One more question,is there a minimum size/height for riders who want to race on a 250?I am about 5'6'' or 7'' and weigh roughly 135,more when I am more fit and in shape(it is winter,I am being lazy and out of shape) :nod:

I have heard of no restrictions on that at all! I'm 5'2" and am looking at a 250 for a possible next bike!

250girl said:
I am sorry if I sound a little dumb,I know nothing about racing. But any info would be greatly appriciated,thanks everybody,

250girl

1 - There are no dumb questions! 2 - I hope this helps! We'd love to hear you experiences!! 3 - If you ever have any questions, we'd be glad to answer them!

- Tolle'

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Wow, thanks everybody!!

justalonewolf,
Thanks for the encouragement! I needed it. I am not sure where the closest track is, but my neighbour races, I am sure he could point me in the right direction.I just need to find some gear, and get out there.

Thnaks again everybody,
250girl

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
have him/her ride with you and see if they can give you some tips. whats the weight on the WR? maybe you would be better off looking at lighter bikes? theres alot of other races rather just motocross. have you considered woods racing?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Not too sure what the exact weight of my WR is, all I know is it's HEAVY. I actually don't even know what all the kinds of racing are.Woods racing sounds like fun, and more suited to my bike.

Top Bottom