tc13

Jun 16, 2002
hi,

i have a 1997 mxc360 which runs great. however, it is all stock and i would like to beef it out a little.

what i want is more top end speed. what is the best way to get that?

jetting?
performance pipe?
different sprokets?
i also heard something about reeds, but i don't know what a reed is at this point!

any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
you can get an after market pipe/silencer (pro circuit, FMF, DG etc), port and polish your cylinder (Mr.Eric Gorr), Reeds (boysene, v-force), Different sprockets (not really recomended), Boring your cylinder, thats only a few of the things you can do to increase the power. There are many other things you can do also to increase your power. But it wont do you any good if you cant get it to the ground, i would invest some money into your suspension too.

tc13

Jun 16, 2002
hi,
thanks for the ideas

does it matter what pipe?

also - can you give the 5 sentence education on reeds? what are they, where are they, why are they important, how do the ones you mention increase power?

why do you not recomend different sprokets? i have heard something about a larger rear sprocket can increase power. is that not true?

also - how would my suspension increase power?

thanks again.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Where the hell do you run that bike, the salt flats? If you have a 360 that really runs great, it will go like all get out.

If you run out of revs in top gear, slap on some longer gearing (using sprockets) if you really only want to get top speed.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
I agree with shift-mx, the best performance mod you can do to any bike is suspension! definitely the top of the priority list. After that then think about porting.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
gear=speed
this appears to be a no brainer?
If you are pinned in 5th and counting heartbeats it is time for more gear, huh?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Having owned a 360 I'm suprised you think you need more top end, especially in MA. As mentioned top end SPEED is achieved with gearing at the expense of low end which in the case of the MXC might be a problem if you also ride in the tight east woods on your way to the salt flats. If your stuck on wanting top end FMF makes a Gnarly pipe and this is NOT the pipe you want, their Fatty might be but is not made for the 360 :think:. I can also attest to Eric Gorr's ability to make the 360 a great bike, then again I wanted the power to be smoother and come on lower to work with my Gnarly pipe and that is exactly what he gave me. You've got a great and VERY fast bike on your hands and I honestly can't imagine NEEDING more than mine ever offered. You are shifting out of first right? ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think the Fatty was dropped for the 96-97's but there may be a few floating around. FMF no longer lists it. Maybe stuffing that 1300cc 'zuki engine in it will be enough. :think:

tc13

Jun 16, 2002
hey,

thanks for all the replies. i have been away for a week so i just got them. thanks for the comedy remarks as well. i got a good laugh on the salt flat jokes.

i guess you guys are correct. the bike is abeast, but i guess i am just a speed freak. i know my bike is not the sx, but a new sx 250 beat me on a straight away which pissed me off.

i have the bike jetted down because i do a lot of trail riding. i was just looking for a little more on the straight aways.

question:
so reeds really make a big difference? i am not sure what i have now, but i will check. i heard boyseen (not sure if spelled roght) makes a difference!

also, if I diput different sprokets on would i loose a lot on the low end? i really so like the pick up the big has.

thanks for the comments and keep the comedy coming!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Post your current pipe, silencer & gearing info here as well as an honest description of the condition of the engine and you might get more specific answers. If a current 250SX out ran you on flat ground I'm guessing your engine is in need of rings at the least. This bike is major league fast and KTM wouldn't have made the 300 and 380 if the 250 was equal. (R.I.P. 380 :( )

92cr

May 18, 2002
The new 250sx and the 360 mxc both have close ratio trannies.The 250 obviously rev's higher than your 360 so the him beating you should not surprise you.You might want to check with your dealer about the cost of switching to 360exc tranny ratios.They are wider than the sx or mxc which share tranny ratios.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Originally posted by 92cr
The new 250sx and the 360 mxc both have close ratio trannies.The 250 obviously rev's higher than your 360 so the him beating you should not surprise you.
Huh? :think:

92cr

May 18, 2002
the 360 mxc also has 2 more teeth stock on the rear sprocket than the 360sx of the same year which would further reduce top speed.don't think that just because a 500 can accelerate faster that it's going to have more top speed.also the 360 is not a 500[duh!]. the 360mxc doesn't go as fast top speed as a cr500.if you like to think that you're going to get significantly more top speed with a pipe or reeds you'll believe anything.
i guees it's guys like you that keep the aftermarket in business.also Patman the new 2002 250sx makes 49hp! More than a 97 360 did

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
1997 KTM 360 gearing:
MXC = 15/50
SX=14/50
EXC = 14/52

2000 KTM 250SX = 14/50

:think: Also if memory serves me correctly (not always possible) the 360 was rated near the 50hp mark and if I had to be specific I think the number was 47.5? (Of course who's to say these numbers are accurate, same as todays claims). The 360 also had the misfortune to share it's exhaust pipe with the 250/300 (much like the 250 had to make do with the heavier 360 design fly wheel) which was a large hinderance in jetting the bike to get clean power from top to bottom, so adding an aftermarket pipe to this model indeed makes a significant difference in the way it produces power, especially on top.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Sorry I was just using the factory KTM service manual. :confused:

Doesn't really matter. The object is to give somebody options for what they are trying to do with their bike and in this case if they want a salt flat racer and gearing & a rev pipe will give them the results they are looking for. Because of a design flaw of the stock exhaust this 2 stroke has more to gain than almost any other with the addition of a system designed for this specific displacement. By going to say a 48T rear and adding the exhaust I seriously doubt the newer model 250 would even be close provided the engine is in top condition and jetting is correct (AND you have what it takes to keep it held open). :)

92cr

May 18, 2002
Several websites and my old magazine back-issues say the sx is geared 14/50 and the mxc is 14/52.If you go to a 15/48 combo your first gear will become considerably taller.You'll definately get more top speed, [probably easily enough to lose the 250sx]but if your trails are anywhere as tight as they are here in the pacific northwest, 1st gear will be much too tall.I don't know what ktm prices are like but my buddy who rides a 94yz250 wanted to install a taller 5th and possibly 4th gear from the 94 wr and it was only going to cost him $250-350 including labour.I'd still check into the exc gears if you want have a usable 1st gear.

tc13

Jun 16, 2002
hey

salt flat racer here: :)

you guys are great! i now have my bike jetted correctly and it is indeed running great.

before i get on to the pipe and the other stuff mentioned, i want to learn about the reed system.

as you can tell. this is like a big model and i am figuring out the peices one at a time.

i will post a new thread called "reed valve questions." if you guys don't mind bearing with my "virginity" when it comes to these machines, please go into that thread.

i would like to get tanother dialog going.

i am really learning a lot from you people. it is a big help!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom