How do I make the 02 YZ250 Handle???

yam 3

May 19, 2000
I have the same bike and it started to push in the corners. Checked the sag and that was the culprit. 1/4 inch too much...set to 100 mm and all was fine once more.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I just checked and set the sag today, It was about 1" too little sag. I set the sag to 4 Inches (approx 100mm.)
I also raised the tubes in the clamps 10mm, I am planning on going to the track to try it out tomorrow if the rain doesn't storm me out! ;)

Last edited:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
OK, so here is the report.
I decided to go off-road today, so I picked a fairly rough, rocky spot to do my testing.
The bike corners MUCH better with the sag seg and the forks moved up.
My forks were riding too low in the stroke on the front end due to too low of compression dampning, I didn't notice this until I let my friend ride the bike. I increased the compression, first to stock settings, then +2 on the compression.

That helped a lot, but the bike is still a little bit harsh. It does supreme on rolling/smooth type impacts like rolling sand whoops and landing from jumps but it does not do well on sharp impacts like hitting rocks and small sharp bumps in the trail.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
Alright...I know nothing about suspension, so how hard is it for an ordinary Joe to change out the suspension fluid. Do I need special tools?

My 03 does well on hard landings, like you said above...sharp sudden impacts really hurt. The suspension doesn't give. The only way I can take a hit like that is if I am prepared and get the front off the ground but thats not always possible.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Most people service shocks less often than forks as its harder to do-this is wrong as shocks get really hot and break down the oil-the oil maybe clean but its not doing its job.I would go for 15 hours on the shock and forks.However at this point im averaging about 4 hours between strip downs so 15 hours would be bliss for me.

Top Bottom