How do I remove the spring seat and stop ring?

xenasdaddy

Sponsoring Member
Apr 8, 2001
this is on a 2000 cr250. I am changing springs and for the life of me the manual does not show how to get them off. it just says, loosen retainer, lock, etc, and then remove spring seat, stop ring and spring.

thanks!

xenasdaddy

Sponsoring Member
Apr 8, 2001
nevermind. i got it! the retainig clip was hidden by dirt so that i could not tell it was 2 pieces!
thanks,
xd

xenasdaddy

Sponsoring Member
Apr 8, 2001
thanks for popping in S. Ummm, can you briefly explain what you mean by shaft bushing? Basically, I just took the shock off, took off the old spring, cleaned the entire assembly, including the linkages, installed the new spring (number on the bottom), lubed up with waterproof Maxima grease and am going to reassemble tomorrow night and adjust sag.

There was no play in the bearing areas, however the lower shock monting area roller bearings were dry and rusting. Now, I have it in my head that I will not ride again until I clean and lube EVERY bearing on the bike!

I am not going to service the shock right now. I would rather wait until I have a little extra money to get you to install your trick stuff in it. :)

I will do the forks Wednesday.

XD

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
I was reffering to bushing in the seal head at the bottom of the main body.
Sounds like you already got it back together no worries though ther is a good
chance it is still functional.Those rusted bearings worry me if there are any worn spots or pits in the sleeves that'go through the linkgage componets.Then i would suggest the linkage be rebiult .

xenasdaddy

Sponsoring Member
Apr 8, 2001
thanks shaggy.

i can go ahead and check that bushing, it is just a matter of removing the spring again, which since i know how to do it now, should take no more than a few minutes and taking the bottom of the body off right?

also, the sleeves look and feel perfect that ride inside the roller bearings. when i say rust, i basically mean rust discoloration, but not actually to the point of pitting. luckily i did this when i did, if not i am sure that bearing would have failed pretty quickly. the other 2 linkage bearings actually looked really good and still had grease, but i cleaned them anyway and repacked. i guess it is because the force on the lower shock mount has soooo much force on it?

planning on greasing the swingarm bearings and chain tensioner bolts tonight, anything i should check there besides the obvious?

thanks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom