How do the YZ or WR250F compare to a KDX?

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Anyone ridden all three? I've got a '90 model KDX with a few engine and suspension mods and I love it, but lately I've been doing more MX riding than trails and am leaning toward purchase of a MX-only bike in addition to the KDX. I've ridden a new CR250 and YZ426F and both seem a little too powerful for my riding ability. I love the linear power of the 426, but it's pretty unforgiving if you bounce into the throttle like I sometimes do, plus it's heavy.

I want something like my KDX with more power down low and less of a hit, i.e. more linear delivery. I also want a bike that you can run a gear too high that will still pull hard when you roll on the throttle, i.e. I don't want to work up and down the gearbox like (I suspect) a 125 does to keep the thing moving.

In a perfect world, I'd like something that's light, suspended for MX out of the crate, and has plenty of linear power that doesn't require shifting all the time to stay in the powerband. Does this bike exist?

Oh yeah, I'm 38 years old, 170lbs, and I don't jump big stuff.

Last edited:

EBOD

Nov 1, 2001
I have a lot of seat time on the WR250F (it's what my riding buddy has) and I have a KDX 220. I am a recreational trail rider (no racing) and every now and then I ride on MX tracks. While the WR 250F is pretty slick, I strongly prefer my KDX 220 (my wife bought me a WR and I returned it in favor of the KDX).

The WR has a nice smooth powerband, but I don't think it has such great low end--you have to ride it kind of like you'd ride a 125. It probably has a bit (and only a bit) more peak power than the KDX, but the KDX has more useable power. Also, you can really feel the WR's extra weight (which it carries up high). The WR, at least the 2001 model, also has some pretty serious starting problems. At first my buddy had a really hard time starting it. Now that he's learned the drill, 8 rides out of 10 it starts right up. One ride out of 10, it starts, but he has to kick it for 10-15 minutes before it does. One ride out of 10 it won't start no matter what--he is SOL. Despite reports to the contrary, he's never had any hot starting issues. Finally, the WR is way too f***ing loud. My buddy has a White Bros. e-serise pipe on it and I feel like I'm riding with 10 guys on Harleys (everyone puts on a new pipe, or at least uncorks the stock pipe which is just as loud).

On the other hand, the WR has a really nice suspension. Out of the the box, it will surely be better for MX than the KDX. The only change I've made to my KDX, however, it to add stiffer front fork springs. For my uses, including light MX/jumping, it's fine.

The KDX is at least $1000 to $1200 less expensive than the WR. You can do all the necessary mods for less than half the savings. Go green.

Of course, on the KDX board, you'll likely get lots of pro-KDX responses. Take my views with a grain of salt.

--EBOD

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
I have had a KDX for about 5 months now and I just bought a 2001 YZ 125 b/c I have been riding almost exclusively on tracks. The YZ ABSOLUTELY KILLS the KDX on the track and I find that it is almost as easy to ride on the trails. It is a different riding style for sure. Once you learn how to keep the mx'er on the pipe, you don't have any problems. For more low end you could change the gearing and install a V-Force rad valve. For more you could change the porting. I absolutely love the YZ now. It is soooo much lighter than the KDX it isn't even funny. The main reason I opted for the Mx'er is that I was pushing the limits of the KDX as far as jumping is concerned. I don't think a KDX is meant to be jumped over 50 ft. After you really learn how to ride a 125, you could move up later to the 250. PS - I am about the same weight as you.

michigan

Mar 9, 2001
In a perfect world, I'd like something that's light, suspended for MX out of the crate, and has plenty of linear power that doesn't require shifting all the time to stay in the powerband. Does this bike exist?

Yes, but I have a feeling you don't want to hear that this particular bike is called a KX500... or CR500.

Last edited:

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by michigan

Yes, but I have a feeling you don't want to hear that this particular bike is called a KX500... or CR500.

I've ridden a slightly modified CR500 and it was scarey. :scream:
It was also a bitch to start and, as I recall, it felt a little top heavy. Definitely too much bike for me on a MX track. The bottom end grunt was phenomenal though.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
What about that KTM 250exc or whatever it is? I've heard the suspensions on those are much better stock than a KDX. I think they're big ging though.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
The KDX is probably not the bike you want for an MX track. On the other hand, every once in awhile someone on a 125 MX bike will join our trail group for a typical run though some “ignorant tight” single-track. They inevitably end the ride thoroughly whipped and we either never see them again, or the next time they show up its with a new woods bike. So it all depends on what kind of riding you like.

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Barry, if you are interested in a 250f strickly for MX I think you would be better of with the yz.I bought a wr in Feb 01 and think it weights 25+ pounds more than the yz .The yz should be almost the same as the Kdx.The 25+pounds makes a big difference on the trails,after a day on the wr I was just beat ,took the kdx out for the first time in a year 2 weeks ago and found I was faster on the kdx on the trails and less tired,the wr could be set up better for the track but I think it would cost less to set up the yz for the occasional trail, maybe a flywheel weight and different gearing.

BarryW

Jan 4, 2001
Thanks for the input guys. As I mentioned, I'm keeping the KDX regardless. I'm currently having the shock revalved and sprung and have already put in stiffer fork springs, so hopefully the next MX outing it'll feel a little better. I'm not a very good MX'er and actually much prefer trails, but a bunch of my friends have gotten into the MX scene and there are several tracks close by so it's convenient. I'm hopeful that I'll get to try out a 250F before I make the decision to buy a new MX bike.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
The 250f really shines on the mx tracks, but as mentioned above, it needs to ridden fairly aggressively to do so. Although it does have decent low end, it prefers to be ridden from the middle of the power up.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I moved from a KDX220 with all the mods to a stock YZ250F and I LOVE it. I ride 95% MX so keep that in mind but I also like the 250F in the woods. I am 48 and weigh 180 and the 250F is fine stock and I can hit the 60 footers without any problem, lots of power and lots of grunt.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom