How do you keep your goggles from fogging?

scrawshaw

Dec 19, 2001
I have standard Scott goggles which are great except for one thing; in colder weather (especially at low speeds) they fog very quickly.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If dust isn't a problem, you can tear out the foam from the top of the goggle frame.  This really improves air circulation.

There are 'no fog' cloths and sprays you can apply to the inside of the lens, but in my experience you can still fog.

One great product is the Qwick Strap - it allows you to remove and reattach your goggles quickly with one hand.  This is especially nice if you wear glasses.

Finally, some people wear shop safety glasses instead of goggles. 

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Smith makes a "Turbo" lens that is especially designed for this problem. I think they are basically ski goggles, they have some holes drilled at the top of the lens are are backed with foam on the inside. But that doen't really solve your Scott problem now does it? You could try an old suba diver's trick... spit inside of them, and use your finger to smear your saliva around. lol, sounds dirty I know, but it's cheap and might work :cool:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
The Smith Turbo actually has a small fan to circulate air, I'll let you know how they work, I just ordered some this morning!

Actually my problem is that my glasses always fog up, not the goggles

Attachments

• smith turbo.jpg
    smith turbo.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 787

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
Shaving cream works and so does dishwashing liquid. Much cleaner than using spit in my opinion :)

I got a pair of spy goggles and the only time they fog is when i'm at a stand still.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I had some Smith Top Fuel goggles, and they fogged badly. I used some of those Scott anti-fog cloths on the inside of the lens, and that stopped the fogging problem. The only thing I didn't like was that the inside of your lens takes on this greasy/oily film. Doesn't affect vision much, but on the really hot and sweaty days, oily condensation would build up inside the lens.

This past fall I tried a pair of Pro Grip light-sensitive goggles. Temps were in the 50's to 60's, riding in a combination of fast and slow woods. Classic conditions for chronic fogging on the Smith Top Fuel and traditional goggles. The Pro Grip rep claimed zero fogging, and you know what.... he was right! I have used these on 4, 3-4 hour trail rides, and they never fogged once. Temps ranged from the low 40s through the mid-60's. We'll have to see how they do in the summer next season.

I also tried a pair of Scott Voltage Pro goggles for a day, and they were fog-free as well (same conditions).

I would invest in a good pair of anti-fog goggles, and skip the anti-fog cloth. If you can't see while riding, it really sucks, and taking your goggle off to see is a really bad idea. I know a guy that tore a cornea doing it.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I used to wear my glasses as well and the Smith Turbo goggles with the fan were the only thing that worked for me. That combined with the Fog Clothe. I have contacts now but still use the Fog clothes. These things are great and pretty cheap.

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by scrawshaw
I have standard Scott goggles which are great except for one thing; in colder weather (especially at low speeds) they fog very quickly.

The best thing I ever tried regarding this problem i "FOG CITY" ...that solved the goggles problem ...but not my glasses fogging .... where I still use the dish liquid or contact lenses ....
RakO

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Ive used the scott no-fog wipe. It works o.k. but it causes the condensation to collect in droplets creating a little distortion, but way better than fogged over lenses!!! Another item that I have found VERY helpful is a "nose guard" that mounts on the bottom of my Oakley's. It also direct more air up through the bottom of the goggles so any fog or moisture is more quickly evaporated. Mine is pretty old, but I think I've seen something like it for scott goggles, maybe smith.

exc rider

Jan 15, 2002
the pro-grips are the way to go for sure.i have raced in everything from 20 degrees to 90 degrees,rain all of it and those things never fog up.i can sit on the line for 5 min in the dead of winter and no prooblems.i highly reccommend them.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I finally tried the Smith Turbos.

They work ok as long as I keep moving , even in the tight nasty stuff, but if I stop my glasses still fog up imediately, even with the fan on high!

I've tried many different anti fog solutions and fog cloths, none have worked for me so far.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
go to any auto parts store ie: Pepboys, and they carry a product by RainX called Anti Fog... put some on the inside of your lense and whipe ...... no more fogging up, like wise the regualr rain x works great on the outside of your lenses too mud slips right off and water beads off making you see clearer if you dont use tear offs......

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I've tried the Rainx anti fog stuff, did not work on my glasses :ugg:
Same with no fog cloths, 20/10 Fog Gone, spit, etc, etc...

Maybe I just got to much hot air in me! :eek:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Dick Burleson did a goggle prep bit Dirt Rider a few months back that was pretty good. He also noted to never ride w/o googles. Said he packs a pair of Enduro Glasses that in worst-case scenario he will wear instead of goggles so he at least has some eye protection. Sounds like a good thing to add to a camelback or fanny pack.

Top Bottom