How do you know if you have a clogged pipe?

Jun 5, 2006
Hi guys, i have a 02 kx 125 that has a serious lack of power. I'm pretty sure the culprit is a mix of a worn top end and worn/stuck/dirty kips valve. Now i'm wondering if another cause could be a clogged pipe? So i was just wondering if there's a way to tell, or how do you unclog it? thanks for your help.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Yea crank it and if exaust is coming out strong it's not clogged; seriously I'm not being sarcastic. If it were clogged it wouldn't even start more than likely.
How old is the top end? Factory jetting is rich, you might want to look into some possible jetting if the top end is in good shape, do a compression test.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Because of the question you asked, it sounds like you haven't pulled your pipe in a long time, if ever. This means your power valves have likely not been cleaned in a while, either. This would explain your lack of power.

Jun 5, 2006
Actually, i've pulled my pipe several times, i obviously knew that it wasn't totally clogged, i just wasn't sure if it was possible for a pipe to be "partially clogged" from carbon deposits or something. I know for a fact that my top end is worn. i added the part about the kips valve only because it could be the only other part of the bike i haven't checked that could be related to my power loss/harder to start.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom