zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I just replaced my clutch plates to remedy a "funkiness" in the clutch feel. It felt as if it was slipping and occassionally changing the engagement/disengagement point in the lever within very, very short time periods that I thought shouldn't be a result of just heating up. The old friction plates didn't appear to be any more worn than the brand new ones, but they've been in there for a long time so I thought it'd be the best place to start.

The outter & inner baskets are grooved, but only slightly so. I can see the marks, but they only feel like very small indentions (nothing like pictures I've seen of badly notched fingers). I didn't bother to file it. I just figure a new basket will be necessary soon. Also, on the inner basket, where the first friction plate rests, the outter edge had some small damage around the outter edge, like it had chipped. There were two of these chips, no more than a half a millimeter in width and about an inch long at the most. What does this indicate, other than normal wear?

After the install, I took it for a brief spin around the barrio, and it felt fine. These are the stock baskets on my '98 250, btw.

falcon1

Mar 20, 2003
If it was mine i would probably file the baskets flat and run it like that until it starts grabbing weird. Then put new baskets in it. Doing this wont hurt a thing and you'll get the most life out of your parts. Just my 2 cents.

B

biglou

Originally posted by zio:
"How groovy is too groovy?"
zio, my man, you can never be too groovy. And you are like, the grooviest cat I know. :cool:

Seriously, I've filed off some fairly deep grooves in my buddy's 99 RM250, and it's still going strong with no grabbing after a year or more. I'd say file them off carefully and see how it feels. If it gets funky (not to be confused with groovy), may time for a new basket. You dig? Cool. :thumb:

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
With filing aren't you creating an increase in clearance between the fibers and basket, which in turn would cause more slaming and a more rapid groove reformation, eventually??? I realize it depends how much you file but still......

B

biglou

Well, I'm not all that versed on it,but the grooves I filed for my buddy were more like smooth-edged "waves" than squared-off grooves. The actual distance filed was pretty minimal-only a few thousandths, I'm sure. Also, if you are grooved already, the tabs are riding at that depth as it is, so flattening out the ears only means that the plates don't have to "climb" the grooves to release/engange, making for the smoother transition. That's my uneducated theory, anyway!

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I have filed these before and had a fairly decent lifespan afterwards. I know filing causes some extra clearance, but honestly, the clearance is there allready. What choice does a person really have?

The oem basket is expensive. The hinson is as well. If a person can drag (no pun intended) an extra 6 months to a year out of it, why not???

Did this happen in the old days? I remember changing plates in my 82 yz 490 and not having to deal with this matter. I wonder if a lot of this "notching problem" is brought to our attention to help sell aftermarket baskets??? I pu tthe Hinson basket on my current YZ 250. It is nice, but I would have rather spent the 225.00 on something else.

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
I don't think its just to sell aftermarket baskets. . .my '82 YZ 100 had the stock basket whe I got it and it was notched badly I gotta say +1/16 of an inch, and squared off. $130 for OEM $210 for Hinson (went with OEM). Prety steep prices but you gotta do what you gotta do. If its not notched deep (like less than 1/32nd I'de say) just grab the file and get some more life out of 'um.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Okeedokee. Like BigHustlaLou, these are more like waves. I might do it some day. For now, all is well. I've just been so I-dont-wanna-touch-it lately. I want a mechanic.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom