Canmx120

Mar 25, 2006
Hey everybody, I've looked around on the internet for information regarding the but have found very little. My stock basket had become badly grooved and my clutch wasn't hooking up under hard acceleration. I've filed the grooves, checked over the rest of the components and the only other thing is the inner hub is grooved slightly as well. I havn't ridden the bike yet and would just like to know from some people who've done this approximately how many hours will I be able to ride on this before I have no choice but to replace? A new basket in Canada is roughly 300.00 and I just don't have money for it right now.

Also my clutch cable has no adjusment left at the bar and filing the grooves hasn't helped. I can't figure out where all the adjustment went? It's a new cable and almost new clutch and I had to take the adjuster nut off of the perch to get lever play.

I have a race this sunday and another the following friday that I'm hoping to make and the life span of this bandaid fix will determin how much I ride between race dates.

Thanks alot for any help received.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
There are lots of threads on this but the expected life of a filed basket varies on how much you filed off and how much you use the clutch. The more you file, the wider tha gap is for the tang on the fiber plate to move around in. In a wider gap the tang will have more time to get up to speed before it slams into the other side causing it to wear faster.

I'd go ahead and use it if you can't get a basket right away but check it between races to gauge how it's holding up.

Do a search to find alternatives to buying a new one. There's a place that can insert stainless steel inserts in the worn areas.

Top Bottom