how important are they?

Revver

Feb 1, 2005
Dowel rods that is. I'm in the middle of doing my top end when I realize that I've lost track of two dowel pins from the cylinder. I find them on the floor of the garage deformed from being stepped on. :think: :bang: :bang: :| So my question is, can the show go on with two dowel pins so that I'll be ready for sunday or should I wait till the dealer can order them. My buddy has two dowel pins from a cbr900rr but they are skinnier, could they work perhaps? My buddy tells me that they are mostly used to align the head gasket and that if I put the remaining good two dowels diagonally across from each other, I should be ok. What do you guys think?

joh9356

Mar 22, 2005
Nicky's right,

If you want a correct alignment and prevent future head and case problems later, replace them, they are important.

motolink

Apr 15, 2004
revver which dowls are you refering to, do you mean the dowls that go on the cylinder studs in the crank case or the ones that fit between the cylinder head and the cylinder, in either case if you had dowls that were the same hight and outside diameter they will be ok.

Joe_148

Mar 13, 2004
when I rebuilt the top end on my cr125 the manual said to remove them but I didnt see the need to, how do they come out anyways?

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
If they don't come out by hand you usually have to twist them out with vice grips and they will be shot.
When installing new ones use some anti-sieze and they will come out easily and can be re-used.
There really is no reason to remove them when doing a top end job if they haven't become deformed or corroded.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
If they were unnecessary, the manufacturer wouldn't have put them in there in the first place.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…