How tell if gear dogs are worn?

gezza

Nov 12, 2002
Howdy everyone. Been a lurker for a while, now a question asker (will try to be a responder in future too). Got an old IT490J ('83) with third gear prob, seeking advice over. Stick it in third, and engine can rev freely but rear wheel locks. Have split cases - two shift forks obviously worn and being replaced. But wonder if actual cause is something else. How would the above symptoms occur? Presume something to do with wear on gear dogs (but would that be only if slipping out of third?). So, advice sought on what actual cause might be. Then, if it is dogs, presume should replace third gear on countershaft plus the cog it joins to to hook up the power?
If not dogs, perhaps worn dowel pins not moving third gear far enough away from previous gear and gets stuck in between or something?

Thanks in advance,

Gerard

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Gezza I would have emailed you but was unable to as you don't accept email messages so here goes- I deleted your identical post from the other forum. Please when you post make sure which forum you are using and that it is the appropriate one. Second do not post the same question in multiple forums- they will get deleted.
Now the bad news I can't help you with this but I am sure someone will soon

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
I had almost the identical problem with my 97kx250. The owner before me had replaced a shift fork and told me about it. Then a couple of years later, while I owned it, it started falling out of third with a clicking sound under any power, until it just didnt go into 3rd at all. So I split the cases and started looking for anything worn. 2 of the mating gear dogs were rolled over on the corners. The dowel in my case was in good condition. I replaced the 2 gears (with the dogs) and 2 forks that were shiny, but bearly bent. $300 later and some late nights putting her back together and that solved my 3rd gear problem.
So I would say you found your problem. I would also advise to replace anything worn your not sure of, because doing the whole thing over again wouldnt be any fun. (but it should go quicker!)

gezza

Nov 12, 2002
WaltCMoto - thanx for your advice. Sounds like must be dog problem. Tell me - do you replace the third gear plus the gear it mates with on the countershaft (as opposed to the gear the actual teeth on the countershaft third gear mesh with on the mainshaft? As the engine can rev freely when this prob occurs, me things the problem gear/s are on the countershaft (which locks the back wheel). I'm guessing go with the countershaft gears (third plus the one it mates with to connect power to the back wheel).

Gerard

WaltCMoto said:
I replaced the 2 gears (with the dogs) and 2 forks that were shiny, but bearly bent. $300 later and some late nights putting her back together and that solved my 3rd gear problem.

Top Bottom