How tell if gear dogs are worn?

gezza

Nov 12, 2002
Howdy everyone. Been a lurker for a while, now a question asker (will try to be a responder in future too). Got an old IT490J ('83) with third gear prob, seeking advice over. Stick it in third, and engine can rev freely but rear wheel locks. Have split cases - two shift forks obviously worn and being replaced. But wonder if actual cause is something else. How would the above symptoms occur? Presume something to do with wear on gear dogs (but would that be only if slipping out of third?). So, advice sought on what actual cause might be. Then, if it is dogs, presume should replace third gear on countershaft plus the cog it joins to to hook up the power?
If not dogs, perhaps worn dowel pins not moving third gear far enough away from previous gear and gets stuck in between or something?

Thanks in advance,

Gerard

kawdude

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2003
This is guess but I don't think worn gear dogs would cause the lockup. I would assume the gear is not moving out of the way because of problems with the forks only. Look on the Yamaha website at the part diagrams to see if all the parts are there.

I have my Kaw apart and have been playing with the shift forks. I can duplicate your issue when I put the forks back in but have the gear shift drum in the wrong position. Verify that the drum is in good shape also. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom