How long do the original stock reeds usually last?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Until they're worn out!

It depends but they should be good for 50 to 100 hours.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks RV6junkie, I am going to check them on Sat., but I think I'll order some new ones tonight. I'll need them if not now, then soon.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Until they're worn out!'

Ha!

That's exactly right! (Well, my 'imo' anyway.)

'Checking' them may tell you if they're bad, but probably won't tell you they're ok.

Probably a good thing to have on your 'preventive maintenance' chart in the 'annual' column.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
on my 97 200, I put a new set in in 02, but the stock ones were perfect, not frayed, chipped, cracked, etc. I saved them incase the Boyesens ever wore out.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
They don't have to be cracked or frayed to be worn out. There is a service limit to them but its damn near impossible to measure them accurately. It's much easier to replace them during the winter teardown.

dixie

Feb 22, 2003
If you are not sure they are bad, just flip them over. There should be a big end provement in the botton end the boysen in time will do the samething, I turn mine over ever year and have had no problems for 8 years. Maybe I'll replace them one day as of now kept riding.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Thanks for the responses. I didn't get a chance to check them before the turkey run on sunday. The bike ran great though and took a 96 mile beating in the eastern woods. I think the bike feels a lot better than I do! I think I'll just leave the reeds alone for now. I'll check them this winter.

Top Bottom