How long does gas last?

aintskeerd

Aug 19, 2004
I have some gas that has been in my garage for about 3-4 weeks.

Is it old?

How does "old" affect performance?

I was riding the other day and had more smoke than usual and it ran a little flat - is it from using old gas? :think:

Thanks!

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Is the temperature/humidty different than it was when you first filled the tank? That could explain the bike being a little "off"

-Maurice

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I've heard it last's 3 months. If you're going to keep it around longer than that, get some fuel stabilizer.

Elfers

bcVulcan

Nov 13, 2002
My gas can stays in my trailer all the time. When it swells up like a balloon, I let the pressure out. Does this deplete my gas? Not that it REALLY matters. So far I can't tell the difference. Just curious.

BRYDEN1

Sep 22, 2003
When you vent your gas can you are venting the light ends(the liquid gasoline that vaporizes easiest) of the fuel. Put the can in the shade to cool off and the vapour under pressure will turn to liquid again. Just my 2 cents.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
If you add Stabil to it it stays fresh for up to a year, so it says on the bottle. I use it in all my gas powered toys year round and have never had a problem with any of them. Give it a try. :cool:

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I give mine about 3 weeks, and if it's still around after that I dump it in my beater truck. It's probably still good gas, but I keep my can in my truck (live in an apartment) so it's always getting hot / cold / hot / cold and there's a good chance for condensation to form.

It can't goo bad too quickly, at the shop I used to work we'd run race gas from the 50 gallon drums for a whole season, 3-4 months of snowmobile drag racing. Most the time the leftover is run in the jetskis for half the summer too.

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
I dump anything over 6 months in my lawnmower. A pushmower really stinks when you run 110 race gas mixed with amsoil 40:1 synthetic ( :bang:

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
redramhemi A pushmower really stinks when you run 110 race gas mixed with amsoil 40:1 synthetic ( :bang:[/QUOTE said:
true but seems so cool in the weed wacker :laugh:

BJH

Nov 9, 2003
"I dump anything over 6 months in my lawnmower. A pushmower really stinks when you run 110 race gas mixed with amsoil 40:1 synthetic"

Not that I would put it in my bike cause it's super spoogy but...I really dig the smell of Benol in my weedeater.

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I have found with cars that when weve pulled motors out to build them etc they will set for months and sometimes when weve blown motors it could be a year or more before we get back to them. the reason i say this is the ones with run of the mill pump gas only seem to go 9 months or so tops before they begin to smell rancid. one car my friend was racing and blew the motor had used race fuel exclusively. the gas in the car when he got it running again (just under 2 years later) still smelt good ran good etc. and gas cans weve had kicking around with fuel in them have been the same experience the race gas of variouse brands seems to store much longer. I have no idea why this is just my experience.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Gasoline should be stored on concrete floors in the shade to minimize temperature variations and evaporation. If care is taken with it, it will last three plus months. The formulations of pump gas changes with the season (mainly for temperature) so if you use pump gas then fresh is usually better. If you do not use the gas in 3 months--burn it in your street vehicle and buy fresh for your KDX. If you burn premium gas (I think you should for reasons I will not repeat now) always buy it from a station that sells a lot of Premium so it will be fresh from your source!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…