03kdxagain

Mar 17, 2007
Curious as to whether or not anyone uses a stabilizer in their gas. Gas has an approximate shelf life of about 30 days after you purchase it before it goes 'off'. Unfortunately, I don't always get to use a full tank everytime I take my bike out. In fact after getting a bike for the wife and the kids my gas seems to last longer these days! I've always got that sneaking feeling that the old gas in the tank I'm about to use could mess up the carb any day now. Does a stabilizer have any kind of negative effect on the performance? Does it help? Any input? I've used stabilizers on and off over the years on lawnmowers, boats and 4 stroke bikes with no obvious effects other than longer gas life.

Tusk

Apr 5, 2006
I put Sta-bil in the mix for my KDX. During "off" season, I try to start up the bike and run it for a bit at least once a month. Before my next ride, I top off with fresh pre-mix.

I do the same for my street bikes except for the pre-mix part. Of course I top off all my street bikes before storage to keep the rust out.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I've never used the stuff, my bikes sometimes sit 3 months plus on a tank of gas. If they are super high peroformance machines that require race gas, I'll drain the tank. Otherwise, I've never seen enough octane loss to cause detonation.

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Depends on what oxygenates your local refinery puts in. Alcohol will allow H20 absorption and condensation . I've used Sta-bil with good results but many people in the marine industry say Sea Foam brand is far superior. If its less than 6 weeks between, I'd avoid anything. Mix and go ride.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
in a two stroke i would drain the gas if it was to be stored for a while not for the bad gas but for the bad oil...............2 cycle oil degrades after a while after being mixed at least thats what ive herd

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Only castor oils degrade. Standard dino oils and synthetics act somewhat as a stabilizer and help extend the shelf life of gasoline.

03kdxagain

Mar 17, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. I am in the habit of running the gas out of the carb everytime I'm done on the trails anyway. That at least ensures no bad gas tainting up the carb if I do let it sit for a while. Learned this the hard way with a jet boat a few years back, that thing was notorious for crapping out with just a hint of bad gas :whoa:

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
I put in Stabil before winter, then run the carb dry. My bike has always started and ran just fine 5 months later in the spring. I use a synthetic premix and premium gas in my smoker

Top Bottom