How many 220 pistons have shattered

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
I have heard of the rumor but have only read of one. Anyone else out there???

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Search the archives as people come and go on here - there has DEFINATELY been more than one. Call Sages street & dirt. He can give you the ugly details and also sell you a new Weisco at a decent price.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
When I first joined DRN there were a lot of reported piston failures. With that in mind I decided to replace mine in the off season and I ended up being safe. It happens - has happened and will continue to happen. Ratio? I don't really know, maybe 2 out of 10 with just guessing and that probabily probably go's way up if you keep the piston in it for a real long time. Some have cracked kinda early and some have lasted quite a while. If you do the work yourself it's a $150 project, gives you a chance to clean the power valves and gives you confidence in working on your bike.

The reality of the situation is that the stock KDX 220 pistons are prone to a failure which is more frequent than what normally should be expected from piston life.

Be sure to study up on proper handling of the KIPS actuator arm which is reverse threaded and needs to held with a spoke wrench so you don't weaken the shaft and have another potential headache. That's the only tricky part of it really.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…