How many clutch plates should there be?

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Pulled my bike apart to do the water pump seals and just regarding the clutch plates, does anyone know how many are supposed to be in there? I counted 8 but it looks like 1 more could definitely fit in the basket. The clutch doesn’t slip at all, but the bike is a pig to get into neutral whilst its running. Any help would be appreciated.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Excellent, well mine must be fine then. Thanks for that, thats a really handy link.

Brendan

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
Trail riding packages in OZ?

Hey Brendan, what part of OZ do you ride? I'm thinking of coming over to Australia early next year. Can you rent trail bikes anywhere? It would be really cool to explore a few trails over there. Perhaps there are outfits that specialize in this. I found a really interesting one in Baja California. I'm looking at one of those One World Pass round-the-world trips thru three continents.
Shaun - TriniG
:ride:

May 26, 2005
No problem Brendan :) I use it all the time for reference myself.

What do you use for Trans oil on your bike?? Different brands can make a difference in the notchy feel of the shift mechanism. Older bike that have been ridden hard tend to get that way over time as the transmission is constatnly getting sheared. I've had real good luck over the years with Pro-Honda racing Trans Fluid. Good Stuff.

I've seen just about everything used from auto matic transmission fluid (which Pro Honda looks an awfull lot like LOL) to straight up car motor oil, Mobil 1 or any of the bike specific trans oils. I've heard real good things about Motul and Bell Ray racing transfluid.

I would only suggest that you use a Motorcycle specific trans fluid as they have special carriers that catch the clutch dust and don't let the friction and metal plates glaze up as easily.

19Brendan81

Mar 6, 2005
Thanks for the fluid advice, I am putting new stuff in today and will be purchasing it shortly! I think the last stuff I bought was Motul.... depends what the local Auto Barn has got in stock though, but Ill try for Motul again.

Trini G- I am not aware of places that you can hire trail bikes, Ill ask around this weekend to see if I can find out for you. This weekend is a long weekend iz Oz, queens birthday (about the only benefit of still being part of the commonwealth). Ill be riding in a ususal haunt called Mogo State Forest, just outside of Batemans Bay NSW. I live in Canberra and Mogo is about 2 hrs from here, a little less perhaps. Usually I ride in the Mountains surrounding Canberra called the Brindabellas. They are about half an hours drive from my place and there are some spectacular trails and hill climbs there. Its not as scenic as usual thanks to a devastating bush fire we had 2 years ago, but the trails are all open again now.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…