how many miles till rebuild?

dan83

Aug 29, 2003
i know it depends on conditions, but what is a reasonable number of miles to expect to get before a rebuild is needed? Can new rings be installed without replacing anything else?
thanks
dan

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It's not the miles, its the hours. It also depends on how hard you run the bike and how you take care of it.

Expect anywhere from 10 to 100 hours. I know that doesn't help you but I can't see how you ride and how often/well you clean your air filter.

You have a new KDX, don't you? If you leave your stock jetting as is, you'll have to service the power valves before you service the rings.

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
Back when all the two-strokes were air cooled, I used to do a top-end job every year. But after having three water cooled KDXs, I decided I was wasting money. Right now I have over 4000 miles on my 99 220, and it still runs strong. But I am doing a top end job this winter.....probably new piston, rings and top end beraring. Plus, of course, cleaning the power valve.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…