How much power from swapped carb

nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
I have a 1997 kdx220 with the pwk33 and i have a 1993 kdx200 with the pwk35. How much of a difference in power would i gain on the 220 after swapping the carbs and jetting correctly? Basically, would it be worth the hassle?

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
If the bike is stock --that is you're using the original expansion chamber & silencer, you'll lose power at lower engine speeds and gain virtually nothing on the top end. The stock exhaust is very restrictive at high rpms. If you have a performance exhaust, you'll still lose some power at lower revs but gain quite a bit of power on top by increased rev capability. Unless you plan to modify the front and rear suspension, more power will only make the bike harder to ride

nfisher87

Oct 30, 2002
thanks, i have a vforce reed cage, the gnarly rev pipe, powercore II silencer and i have stiffer front springs. Does anyone have any experiance with the bigger carb on a 220?

thormx549

Jan 25, 2004
I know a guy who tried the swap on his 220 but he couldn't get the jetting quite right so he gave up on it, but I think with some time you could get it to work quite well. Good luck.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
{Bill Nye voice on>
Consider the following... :clue:
A typical 200 set the main at 152-155
A typical 220 sets the main at 145

When my 200 still had the airbox lid stock, it would jet out at 145, with the lid remedied, it liked the 152.

So one would infer the boost to a 220 going to a larger carb would be similar to the boost of modifying the lid on a 200, which,...I guess doesn't help you very much :uh:

So you can tell from the main jets that the smaller carb is creating more vacuum at WOT, this holding back the engine from its full potential.

The big question is, how much time do you spend WFO?

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
wibby said:

Wibby hit the nail on the head.

The rev pipe pipe will help with top end. The divider plate in the modified carb will help with bottom end.

I have the above combo and it pulls hard from top to bottom. Kinda like having both torque and rev pipes installed at the same time.

I tried the 200 carb on my 220 with poor results.

Buc

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If the lower end of things is your focus keep in mind that there are two different tension reed sets available for the DFII.

Yes, I do see that you say 'DF'. That is NOT the same as the DFII. More likely you just left the 'II' part off.

I am not referring to the adjusting of the stops to two different tension settings, I mean there are different reed tension specs available for the DFII.

The lower tensioned reeds work better for bottom end response.

imo.

I've tried both.

Krusin

Jul 5, 2004
I just recently bought a 02' KDX220 that had already been modded. It has DF2 reeds, pro-circuit rev pipe and spark arrester, the airbox lid removed, and the pwk-35 carb from a KDX200. This is my first motorcycle, but the throttle response is very linear. It has a lot more torque than my friends 02' CR250, but I don't have as snappy of a power band either. My bike seems very easy to ride, and I enjoy it very much this way. Since my experience is very limited, this probably won't help much, but I have more than enough power and torque to keep up with the CR250 in the woods.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…