02CR

May 25, 2002
Ok,
After reading some posts here and having seeen pro's do it on video's and at various motocross events, I thought wouldn't it be cool to do a standing wheelie. ( not a sitting down wheelie)
So today while I was cruising through a ( very ) deserted pit area leading to the practice track I stand up and crack the throttle ( CR250) In Second , The ground is hardpan and she hooked up sweet..... Too sweet ...as I felt it coming over I hit the rear brake .
Two points to note at this point... I am now off axis and when the front comes up I jerk the throttle and thats when it really tryed to come over. So coming down off axis and pretty hard as I basicaly slamed the rear brakes on in panic mode. So as you guessed already, off I go.... landing and rolling on the hardpack, :( Now that S***ed. I have had the bike for 2 Mo. and not a scratch on her. In a way it was a relief becuase I knew sooner or later I was going to dump and I actually rode faster after the crash. I don't think any one saw the crash .... But If you were at Elsinore MX track and saw a guy Loop and crash .. That wasn't me!!
Any tips on how to correct my standing wheelie? :confused:

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
I used to have the same problem, and I've heard that the 02' is more tame than my bike so it shouldn't be too hard to correct. What I did was simply get more control with my legs (that aluminum frame really helps me) by pinching the bike between my ankles, calves, and thighs and lean forward more when standing in the "attack" position. I get it so my head is a little out in front of the number plate, weighting the front and making it harder to come up. Try that, it's been working for me.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
wheelies are for show and basically do just that to many riders, slam you on the ground. now unless you have your heart totally set on doing them, don't! LOL. I can ride relatively well................can't wheelie worth a dang................unless it's by accident! but I don't try either!

wardy

FoxRacing023

Mar 29, 2002
i can do a good 75 yard wheelie but i preload my suspension to get the front wheel up, you dont need to rev the engine out,then run outta power 10 feet into it. just try pushin down on the front wheel and then as it comes back up blip it with sum gas to get it up. lean back and lock your legs onto the bike, i know its kinda confusing but just get a feel for your bikes power when the front wheel comes up, im on a 125 so i have to give it more gas to get it up, but, as wardy says, there just for show

02CR

May 25, 2002
Hey thanks for the tips!
I think Einstien said it relatively the best.
I think it is in the throttle control and also knowing how your bike
will respond powerwise , for some reason ...most likely because of the weight distribution, the front came up way faster than when doing a sitting wheelie. The hard part is locking my wrist so I don't accidently give it gas as the bike lurches, I think I will try what has been suggested but also in a higher gear maybe 3rd as I think this kind of a wheelie is more of a speed wheelie vs a balance wheelie. And while whillies are mostly for show ;) I think it wise to know how to control your bike in all ( or as many as possible ) kinds of situations . Oh yea I think I will try it on softer dirt next time, Anyone have a good deal on a new expansion chamber??? :whiner: Actually I think I will get a Pro Circuit or maybe an FMF ( like I need the extra power ) But I might see if I can find someone who can remove the dents and stay with this one until I'm done learning wheelies! Any Elsinore MX track riders here? If you see a guy with an 02 CR250 with the number 40 ( and a way dented expansion chamber ) Say Hi! ( while I'm flying By ) :)

YZ Joust

Master of Jackassery
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 21, 2002
My overzealous wheelies have created a nice "marbled plastic" look to my rear fender.... Actually looks kind of cool..... :cool:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Wardy: We all know those bikes you ride don't have enough power to wheelie!

02CR: Did you try Service Honda for a stock pipe? I'd be surprised if you can find one anywhere else cheaper.

02CR

May 25, 2002
Gomer: Thanks for the Info
Thats a cool site and those Rear disc brake guard and rear caliper holders on their home page are sweet! Unfortunately their price on a stock expansion chamber is 192.00 I can get a Pro-Circuit pipe for 169.00. Although there is a 30% off add in this months DirtRider that might make the difference. Anyway, Thanks for the info

Wieb27

Jun 30, 2002
How's this one? I'm far from mastering it too. Just takes practice.

wheelie1.jpg

02CR

May 25, 2002
Pretty good Wieb!
But ahem.... Your not standing up!
I have been dying to get back out and try and practice but work :| has hindered my wheelieing ( new word ) progress. That and the fact that I hyper extended my knee while being ejected from my disgruntled steed.
But knee is feeling better and should be ready for round 2.
Good picture though send me one of you standing up :)

02CR

May 25, 2002
A little update on the standing wheelie progress. After practicing some of the suggestions I am getting a bit more comfortable pulling the standing wheelie.
The best advice was to lean forward instead of leaning back with a sitting wheelie...Big Difference as I am getting more proficiant with them I am leaning back more ( just a little ) and am playing with how far is a little to far.
It is fun and will be even funner when I can do it in Glamis next year through the dunes..... Now on to whips.... almost killed myself as I got the rear end about 2 feet over ( out to the side ) and was a little slow getting it back, not really slow but i did not want to bring it back past straight as I have seen some pretty good spills from bring the rear back to soon, I know its a timing thing. anyway I got on the gas as soon as I touched down and was able to save it. I think that whips are the coolest looking trick... I'm no freestyler but I'd love to be able to pull off a decent whip. Any suggestions? I was doing this over a 25-30' tabletop 3rd gear close to pinned but not all the way. Is this too small a jump to be trying this? I have seen riders doing it on the 50-60 ft tables but haven't seen anyone doing them on this particular one. I don't feel confident enough to try it on the 50'ers yet besides I am not clearing those yet ....This is what my head looks like when I come up short :aj: Thanks for the tips

Top Bottom