Trying to get the hang of this dirtbike thing.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I've just started riding dirtbikes (93' Yamaha RT180) and I've gone out on trails a couple times already. I know the trails very well considering I ride fourwheelers on them all the time. The first time I went out I thought it'd be a cake-walk other than learning the bike, however I was totally wrong.

In two short days I learned SO MUCH about riding and I just want to know if it's good, or if I should change my style/practice to become a better rider.

1. Clutch, Throttle, and Brake control. I've tried learning how to balance all three in order to not stall the bike on hills, turns, hard rear-brake stops, front brake stop, and during slow manuvers. Basically what I do is clutch on, throttle off, brake on, all at just about the same time but I'm always sure to do the clutch first and foremost as to not stall the bike.

2. Hills crossing. I've practiced stopping, starting, tipping, and picking up the bike on hills. I find that if I ever have a problem going up-hill, I use the front brake ONLY. Downhill, I use the rear-brake and the transmission to slow me down and balance the front brake to ensure I don't pop my butt over the bars. (Also, uphill I stand and lean forward, downhill I stand with my butt way back on the seat.) Also with hill-crossings, I practiced putting my up-hill foot down first and leaning UP the hill... the one time I didn't.. I paid for it.

3. Hard Accel/Decel. I've practiced taking off from a full stop and gunning it into 4th gear as fast as possible without popping the front wheel off the ground. I've also practiced a full-throttle 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear run coming to a complete stop without skidding or popping my rear end off the ground. I've done these on grass, rocks, dirt, and some sand. (I can't get a good enough hookup on sand, plus my front wheel tends to dig in too much on stops... so I pretty much just use rear-brake.)

4. Turning (woods/grass). I found that my biggest problem is foot-placment. I try to set my foot forward, and out from the bike about a foot with my heel down. My problem is that my foot either digs in too much, slides, or gets hung up some how and puts a lot of pressure on my knees. I wear good work-boots when riding and don't have a whole lot of heel articulation, so I don't know if that's my problem, but I can't seem to not get my foot stuck and almost get pulled off the bike. Anyways, in the woods I found that I cannot turn nearly as sharp into a corner as on a quad.. mainly this is because the bike tilts and quads flat-track (duh). So I quickly discovered that the fastest (and safest) way around any corner was to take it wide, pull the clutch, tap the front brake, select the next lower gear, line up my exit, let go of the clutch and throttle on. I began practicing throttling through the corner, but on the wood-trails, it got a little hairy. Not to mention that there are no banks built up in any of the corners on the trails yet. I'm sure that after a few weeks of riding I'll be able to dig in a little harder. In order to NOT kill myself in the woods I went out to one of my pastures and made a little figure-eight track with some cones. I can't get out of third gear, but I can zip around it pretty quick, it's also banked a little (it's on the side of a small hill) so I've practiced sliding my bike around the corners (much like how I do in the woods, only faster and without the impeeding trees).

5. Wheelie. Now, I don't condone any noobie (such as myself) to try to wheelie without fully learning how their bike responds... but I kinda fell upon it accidently during step 3. I was practicing just cruising around in each gear to feel out the power. I know how fast I can go and how slow I can go in each gear without stalling, or over-reving the motor. So, during my second-gear practice I was cruising around about 1/4 throttle and decided to just hop on it and see what happened. Low and behold my front wheel gently came up as I put on the power. It was probably a good 25 feet, and the only reason it came down was because the bike hit the top-end of the powerband and began to level-out on the power. I can pull a power wheelie in first gear, but I can't get it to go very far because it's such a low gear I'm sure that if I balanced the rear brake and throttle better I could do a super-slow wheelie no problem. Second gear is by far the best. 3rd gear doesn't like to, but it will on a flat if it's going around 20mph. My main focus is to keep doing the easy 2nd gear power wheelie and train myself to keep my right foot over the brake and at least one finger on the clutch. I think I just get anxious and need to throw my knees out to keep me balanced, but as soon as I do that, it cocks my foot away from the brake. I know I need to work on this a ton.

6. Hopping. After becoming comfortable with the front wheel actually leaving the ground, I decided to do some practice with logs (telephone poles), pallets, and boulders. I started by doing small clutch pops trying to get the front wheel over the obsticle, then pre-loading the rear (jumping on the pegs) and gassing over the obstacle. I probably stalled the bike twenty times but I ended up getting the hang of it.

I have done a search and read some great tips which I have applied to my riding. I'm still practicing, so hopefully I'll only get better from here on out... however I want some opinions from you guys as to if I should be doing what I'm doing.

I know I'm moving fast, but I'm a pretty fast learner, and I'm really quite comfortable on the bike itself (mainly from riding street bikes and quads).

I really feel that my only problems are balance, throwing out my leg in a turn, and keeping my foot over the brake lever. If you guys can find anything else out (without actually seeing me ride lol..) please let me know!

Thanks again!

Dan

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I think I know how you mean. I've seen bikes with the drum-arm facing down instead of up, this must be what knocks the pedal down so that you're foot isn't so cramped up on the peg during the wheelie. I'll try this out and see what I can do, I just ordered some new brake pads for the rear, so I need to crack the hub open anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

Dan

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It sounds like you've got a good grasp on most of the basics. The one thing I would suggest you change is your inside foot placement. You don't want to use your foot as a pivot point. You don't want it to hit the ground at all. Put your foot forward for balance and to further weight the front end. If you're riding in woods and putting your foot forward makes it hit trees, leave it on the peg and ride feet up.

It will be better in the turns once you build up some berms. I would have expected the ATV usage to have already done that, though. As you've already figured out, the common mistake that many beginners make is to try to use the inside rut made by four wheelers when going through turns in the woods. It is much better to ride the outside so that you can lean the bike. With absolutely no berms at all in the turns, ride a little closer to the center and you will end up pusing the dirt out to make an outside berm.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks Gomer! I always thought guys used their feet as a pivot on the ground, not for balance... that will help greatly. Also, I just have to get used to hugging the bike with my legs in order to keep my feet over the controls.

The trials do have some berms, however they are either on the inside of the turns or in the middle... I'll just have to work on pushing them out a bit... maybe try to with my ATV before I try it with the dirtbike.

Thanks again!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
And put your weight on the outside peg during a tight turn. That helps put your weight down low and keep the tires planted to the ground. Just keep your kneed against the tank and push down on the outside peg.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
2strokerfun said:
And put your weight on the outside peg during a tight turn. That helps put your weight down low and keep the tires planted to the ground. Just keep your kneed against the tank and push down on the outside peg.

I just descoverd that when i was riding and it really helps!

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I'll have to try that. I'm still trying to get the hang of throwing my leg to the inside-front to keep balance, but I don't get what I'm supposed to "feel" through the corner. If anything I feel less stable than just having my feet on the pegs.

Dan

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Some quickies...

You don't need to pull in the clutch every time you get on the brakes. Leaving the clutch out makes the rear wheel slightly less likely to lock up. If your engine doesn't idle, it keeps it turning so you have power again as soon as you get back on the throttle.

On hills, getting far forward is not always best. It works pretty well for the quickies that are only about 10-15 feet of climb. For the tall ones, I like to ride in a neutral position on hills. If the hill is slick, I will slowly lean back until the front wheel starts to come up. I ride in this position for most of the hill because it maximizes traction. If the hill has a turn, I return to the neutral position for the turn. If there is a rocky area, I will get forward because the rear wheel will hook up on the rocks and make the bike want to wheelie. As the hill gets steeper, you will have to get further forward. If you have problems with the rear fish-tailing around, try to hit the hill with a little more speed for the next run.

You are right that the ATV's can turn harder. They have more rubber on the ground. For the foot position, the best place is forward and off the ground. Put it up by the front axle. Ideally, it shouldn't touch the ground. If you're having problems catching things with your foot, keep it on the pegs. It doesn't need to be hanging out with the front wheel where it's vulnerable.

Here is a shot of a slide, notice the foot isn't on the ground. Also notice the body position. Notice that I am sitting on the top of the bike in the lean. I try to keep my weight over the point where the tires contact the ground. If traction is good, I can shift my body weight towards the center of the turn. Once in the slide or while riding burms, I shift my weight slightly towards the rear.

SpringBreak07023resize.jpg

Matt 193

Dec 22, 2006
I would try the attack position have your head vertical over the bars feet on the pegs and in a nuetral body position it is the best way to allow you to be ready for any situation.

Top Bottom