How Often Do You Change Tranny Oil?

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
How often do you guys change Tranny Oil?
I change every 4 rides. I have a friend who changes every six months. Im just trying to get an idea of how often everyone does it.

B

biglou

2Stroke-Prolly 5-10 hours of riding, or after every submerging in a creek. Whichever comes first! :scream:

YZF-Every 3 rides, or one to two races. Ocaisionally just a bit longer if I am away at a riding trip, but if I know it's gonna be a long one, I will have provisions with me to change the oil.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Since I've seen using Bel-Ray Gear Saver I have been getting about 20hrs of riding time on it untill the oil starts to turn a darker purplish color. Along time ago when I was using conventional oil I was changing it after 5hrs. Using the gear saver just saves time and money and not counting the amazing gear oil protection!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
You spent mucho bucks on suspension, yet don't change your oil?
What are you thinking?

250motoxer

Apr 13, 2002
I have to go with the general consensus... I change every three rides... and I run Castrol GTX 10w-40.... it's cheap so why not change it often... what is it about a buck or so? Cheap insurance.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I usually go 500 Km or 30 hours. When I drain it, it still looks just as clean as when I put it in (Maxima MTL).
I guess I'm not a big clutch abuser.

nos96

Jun 3, 2002
I change mine every three to four rides and have been using the honda gear oil, but is it really okay to use regular motor oil or ATF??? What are my options???

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
I just use penzoil synthetic. )because I can get a case for 10$)

Any motor oil would work fine, as long as its the right viscosity.

Heres a trivial question, whats the w in a motor oil viscosity mean.(ex, 10W-40)

When asking a group of car coustomers, youd be suprised at the answers.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I change my oil everytime I mix a new batch of premix. One bottle of premix one bottle of trans oil. So it would depend on how long 4 galls of gas lasts me. I have used atf, gear saver, straight 20 wt lawnmower oil, and motorcycle four stroke oil and I can't tell the difference except for maybe a heavy feel shifting on the thicker gear saver.
My usual friday routine is something like this ; need more fuel , go to motorcycle shop get premix oil and usually motorcycle four stoke oil for trans <just out of shear laziness to go somewheres else> then stop at race gas dealer to fill up jug. go home go over bike doing all the little things I need to do to make sure there is no problems and pack my stuff up .

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
jmics----How long do you leave that pre-mix in the tank?

Maybe a better question is how long will fresh gas mixed with fresh oil stay fresh in the bike's fuel tank? I've been very careful to pre-mix gas and then try to use it all, so I rarely have any stale pre-mix leftover in the fuel tank. I think it's the right thing to do. Not sure how long that gas mixture will last. Any comments on this?

nos96

Jun 3, 2002
Joerpo-I think that the W stands weight, but I heard once that W stands for winter as the oil changes in thickness as tempature varies.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
It doe stand for winter, weight is the most given answer. My dad is a service manager for a auto dealer, and doe new car open house, and gives away a free oil change to anyone who can answer it correct, hes only give away about 10, and hes done over 100. :)

Its no big deal but I was just curious to see how edjamacated wes folks are since we were on the oil subject.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
well definately the fresher the better . If I am fortunate enough to be able to ride both sat and sunday it is not an issue since I wil burn up the 4 gals except for the little bit left in the fuel tank that I will use in my weedwhacker and lawnmower. If I dont burn it up one weekend I will use it by the end of the next weekend so it is not setting in there for more than say 2 weeks. Although I have let it sit longer with no real ill affects I try to avoid it < means i am not riding dangit> Castor bean oil users should not even consider this conversation though since castor wil separate from gas relatively quick.<or so i have heard> petroleum or synthetics or blends of the two stay mixed very well< or at least in my experience> with the gas getting stale more of an issue then separation. And besides when you top off the tank before the ride you are mixing it up a bit and the first set of whoops you hit well it should be mixed up pretty well. :eek:

definately far from what would be perfect. having a stone empty bike , fresh sealed can of race fuel ,mixing up what you will use ,jet and ride, and then getting rid of whats left so you can start off with a clean slate the next time. My little part of the world is so far from perfect though and this is the compromise I make so I can get the most riding in the least amount of time. Although I beleive in all of the benefits of race fuel my main reason for using it is that my bike will ping on pump gas, everytime I have ever used pump gas for my bike lawn mower or whatever I always end up with water in the tanks so I eliminate that and also for the relatively cheap insurance of high octane for when i am too lazy to jet properly. Basicly I use race fuel in an unorthodox manner because i am too lazy to deal with pump< whereby most people who spend the money for race gas are trying to get all the performance they can>

this would be only my opinion and my practice that suits my needs which really doesn mean squat in the grand picture but it works for me and who else do I really have to care about right ;) If you have the time , the money and the patience to be that particular about fresh gas by allmeans keep doing what you are doing!!!!!!!! no ill will can ever become of it

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
On my cr125 I change the oil after two days of practice and before every race, oil is cheap, clutch y transmission es muy exspensivo. Well actually oil is exspensive if your like me and your race budget consist of your lunch money. Hmm If I had to replace my clutch plates, I couldn't eat for a month!

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Might I add I have been changing my oil every 20hrs and my clutch and shifting has been excellant for about a year now. If a car engine can get 3,000 miles on a oil change then I think I could get atleast 100 miles with expensive oil...

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Heres a trivial question, whats the w in a motor oil viscosity mean.(ex, 10W-40

you know I have never really thought about it before but now that I think of it if you buy a multi vicousity oil 10w 40 it is only the w but if you buy straight wieght oil I believe it is marked 20Wt
I would have been wrong though if I honestly answered.

Top Bottom