How Often Do You Change Tranny Oil?

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
correct as posted above, w=winter, wt=weight. w does not equal wt by anymeans Mulit viscosity is good for winter and summer, so we can just run a strait weight un less tempertures drop where you live.(or gear oil of atf) Thas why multi-vis is so pupular, you dont have to worry if the temp drops, because the oil will asjust, why dont we call it "smart oil"?(lol)

nos96

Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by jmics19067
...except for the little bit left in the fuel tank that I will use in my weedwhacker and lawnmower.
I have heard of may people doing the same thing but it reminds me of an interestig story.

A buddy with an old beater bike is notorious for running about any kind of gas is in reach. When we first started riding together he was using Echo weedwacker 2 stroke oil in his bike all the time because Home depot was so close. I refused to let that happen in my sight so I let him use my gas.

At any rate, one day the wacker ran out of gas and we used 93 and Yamalube in it and it sounded like it picked up an extra 3,000 rpm and we were laughing about it. After about five minutes at wide open it caught fire and ruined his 4 week old weedwacker.

Was this due to the oil???

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Now heres a question that has been driving me nuts. If the oil seperates from the fuel, why cant you just shake it up, and re-mix it?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Now heres a question that has been driving me nuts. If the oil seperates from the fuel, why cant you just shake it up, and re-mix it?

do you use castor based oil? me I really dont think I have ever had the problem of seperation using a semi synthetic petroloum based , but just out of a nervous habit I shake the can everytime I pour. All it is is a feel good fatcor though kinda like grabbing the front brake and bouncing the front forks up and down before you start the bike ;)
After about five minutes at wide open it caught fire and ruined his 4 week old weedwacker.
My guess is either that with the different mix you either ran too lean and very hot causing grass or other stuff that collects around the motor to ignite or very rich spooging oil out the exhaust that ignited. whatever happened I would have to assume it was a freak incindent.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I used to use a castor based oil...
But I just ran out and am looking to switch.

By the way, where can you get mx2t? I looked at autozone, and they had none.

But while i was there, I saw a bottle very similar to the style that the honda oil comes in, that said "Mobil1 Synthetic Gear lube" Any thoughts on this?

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Check some other Autozones in your area. I've found that some stores don't worry about keeping it in stock. Also, tell the manager at the local store to order it in for you.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Speaking of synthetics and bean oil, where do the semi snythetics fit in, like Golden Spectro semi synthetic? Do the semi's seperate from the gas more easily compared to a full synthetic?

And is mx2t a full synthetic? Thanks.

1999RM125

Mod Ban
Apr 1, 2002
acually i change my oil every week or so... theres no point on wasting oil, mine rarely ever has anything in it and its still the same color as when i put it in....

Top Bottom