Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I don't think there's any age limit. I know a few guys on here who race 125's and are in their 30's. Just have to put yourself in the right class, if they do it by age.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Mx523 said:
Next year I want to race motocross. I'll be 18. Is that to old to race in the 125 class with a 125? :whoa:

I started at 19 in the 125C class with my 125

Mx523

Mar 3, 2007
Well I'm trying to decide if its worth it to dump a lot of $$$ into the bike and race it next season. Do you guys think its worth it?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
What are you planning to dump a bunch of money on to race that you don't already have? If the bike is sound mechanically head to the line and have at it!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Is it worth it? Depends on how good you are and how you measure success.

Let me give you the universal truth about racing, and it doesn't matter what it is you are racing:

"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

No matter how good, or bad of a rider you are throwing more money at it will make you go faster. If the skill isn't there you may not be able to throw enough money at it to make you win but given an equal amount of skill the guy with more money will have the edge. And believe me, there are a LOT of people that are willing to spend a LOT of money to go faster.

If you are a pro racer then "worth it" is the ability to win enough prize money to pay the bills.

If you are a serious amature rider then "worth it" might be being good enough to get some sponsorship and a little recognition.

If you are club / local track racer then "worth it" might simply mean getting out on the track and getting your blood and adrenilan pumping.

None of us can tell you if you will think it is worth it, only you can answer that. A motto that I live by is "If you can't learn to do something well, then learn to enjoy doing it poorly". If you need to cross the finish line first to enjoy it then it probably won't be worth it to you. If you enjoy being out on the track, even running dead last then it probably will be worth it to you.

Rod

Mx523

Mar 3, 2007
Good point rmc_olderthandirt. I'm comming from quads to bikes. With racing the quads you HAVE TO dump money into the suspension and motor to even look at a track. You know what I mean? Is there any must for a dirt bike?

RACER557

Mar 11, 2007
your best bet is to ride the bike alot! get used to it. most bikes come with enough adjustments to satisfy new riders. set the bike up for your weight and ability. and when and only when you honestly know the bike is holding you back then put some money in it. most of all go out have fun it is the best sport in the world!!

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If I remember correctly, the AMA allows a 125 to be bored to 144. Most (but now all)tracks will abide by the AMA rulings.

How old is too old? Well, if you can't remember what year you were born in, then you are too old, otherwise, give it a try and have fun. I was over 30 before I got my first dirt bike, since then I have run 5 races and loved them all. I will probably participate in a few races this fall (I choose to not discuss why I won't race now), and can't wait to jump in the ring with the guys in the D class, hopefully I can decimate and feel good about trying 250C next year. Racing is a blast, if you want it to be. There is no doubt that you will realize this if you ever find yourself trying to run down a 16 year old kid on a practice day. Why would you do such a thing? Because YOU can. Then the kid on the 85 blows by you and you remember that you are a D rider. ;)

Octane250F

Uhhh...
Oct 21, 2006
IMO, there is no such thing as "too old" At the track I go to theres guys in their 40s who are still out there tearing it up.
You wouldnt really need to dump a lot of money into your bike to be competitive. A lot of people rock out a stock bike and do just fine.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i started at age 27 on a 125 in the beginner class. i'll be 48 next month and i'm still going at it.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
rmc_olderthandirt said:
Is it worth it? Depends on how good you are and how you measure success.

Let me give you the universal truth about racing, and it doesn't matter what it is you are racing:

"Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

No matter how good, or bad of a rider you are throwing more money at it will make you go faster. If the skill isn't there you may not be able to throw enough money at it to make you win but given an equal amount of skill the guy with more money will have the edge. And believe me, there are a LOT of people that are willing to spend a LOT of money to go faster.

If you are a pro racer then "worth it" is the ability to win enough prize money to pay the bills.

If you are a serious amature rider then "worth it" might be being good enough to get some sponsorship and a little recognition.

If you are club / local track racer then "worth it" might simply mean getting out on the track and getting your blood and adrenilan pumping.

None of us can tell you if you will think it is worth it, only you can answer that. A motto that I live by is "If you can't learn to do something well, then learn to enjoy doing it poorly". If you need to cross the finish line first to enjoy it then it probably won't be worth it to you. If you enjoy being out on the track, even running dead last then it probably will be worth it to you.

Rod

So I guess you are saying that it just depends on what you want to get out of it to determine if it's worth it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom