how reliable are the 400 EXCs?

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
was just wondering how reliable the '04 400exc is in comparison to say the drz400e? do the valves need to be adjusted as regularly as the new jap thumpers? are there any quirks to this particular model?

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
They do need more maintenence. Not more just more frequent. More oil changes, expensive filters. The oil changes are a little time consuming (2 paper filters, 2 screens). Adjusting the valves regulary is highly recommended.

But, adjusting the valves is easy, you can buy filters that can just be cleaned and reused, and the oil changes depend on how much you ride.

But you wanted it compared to a DRZ400, which is not even in the same category as the 400EXC.

( do the valves need to be adjusted as regularly as the new jap thumpers? )

Are you talking about the NEW ones, like the CRF, KXF, RMZ, YZF, because the DRZ is not considered NEW. (in my opinion). ???? Adjusting the valves on some of these bikes (maybe all) is more of a pain because they use shim buckets not screw with the lock nut on them. And the piston ring life is suppose to be shorter on these bikes also.

But if maintained they are very reliable. Would be hard to change brands after getting used to my 400EXC.

MARK IT

~SPONSOR~
Sep 5, 1999
gjbruny said:
was just wondering how reliable the '04 400exc is in comparison to say the drz400e? do the valves need to be adjusted as regularly as the new jap thumpers? are there any quirks to this particular model?

The DRZ is a trail bike where as the KTM400excRFS is a
(Racing Four Stroke) and requieres more regular maintnance to the, oil, valves. A drz cant be ridden at the level that the KTM can be.

kevin18p

Mar 7, 2005
You can also get aftermarket filters from any shop that deals with parts unlimited or tucker-rocky.They're made by a company called Hiflofiltro they're about six bucks a piece. The part # hf 155& hf 157.
kevin

trewent

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2000
Ktm 400 Reliable!

I've had very good luck with my 2000 400 exc, only routine maintainance. Checked the valves after break in and then I have only had to check once a year (about 15 - 20 rides per year). Change oil every 3-5 rides, filters every other oil change. I play ride only, no racing. Run 10w40 NAPA brand oil.

Top Bottom