How the heck do I get these things apart???

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
Could anyone tell me how to get my XR200R forks apart?? It looks like you need a special tool to stop the bottom half from spinning. If anyone knows anything about XR200 forks, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Isn't there a clip between the dust seal and the oil seal? If they are made like the ones on my bike, you have to remove the dust seal with a flat screwdriver. Then, you will see the retaining clip that keeps the oil seal seated. Once the clip is out of the way, you just pull apart fast a few times and the two tubes will come apart.

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
They're not. They arent inverted. They're a crappy, straight out of the 70's, I'd be better off with solid struts, design and its pissing me off. Even my dealer can't give me a straight answer. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
i think you mean you want to remove the damper tube-you will need some kind of holding tool to stop the damper rod spinning when you try to remove the bottom bolt.Goto www.racetech.com and see if they have one for your model.The other way is to goto a local garage and use the air wrench-these spin the bolt out really easy.

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
Got it!! Made a tool and will bring it to show my dealer because according to him "you don't need a tool for that". Marcus, I was going to use the air wrench but my question is, how do you put them back together because can you tell if all inside is tight?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You can use the airwrench to tighten it up as the inners will not spin as fast as the wrench goes.However make sure you dont overtighten the bolt as these tools have alot of power.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I remember having the same problem on my old Penton. All I had to do was compress the forks using a tie down and loosen the bolt. Of course it's easiest to do this with the fork and wheel still on the bike. I would loosen the damper rod bolt first and then proceed with the rest of the dissassembly. Your results may vary. :)

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…