How tight? Steering head bearing.

Davinator

Apr 20, 2003
Just wondering how tight the star nut should be on the bottom of triple clamp? I have heard that you should be able to tap the bar from side to side without it slapping down? Is this right and the manual says 5ft lbs? Thanks

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
You didn't say what bike you have. I would follow your manual if you aren't familiar with this. However, here is what I do. Asuume that you have just regreased your bearings, tighten hand tight then tap about 1/8 of a turn more, move triples back and forth from stop to stop. Loosen and then retighten finger tight plus 1/16 turn, just a little past finger tight. reassemble the top t-clamp and enjoy. If you tighen more, you will damage the bearings. They only should be tight enough to ride their race. A good test is to support the front end off the ground, grap the front wheel and wiggle it. If there is ANY slop or movement other than the normal side to side from turning the steering, then the bearings aren't tight enough, or are out of spec to the race. If the slop is in the front wheel to axle, then the front wheel bearings are shot.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…