How to contain a fifteen month old?

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
I could use your help,
I am in the continued process of trying to baby-proof the homestead, little buggers find everything dangerous. Anyhow, we have an odd size stair railing and I can't find a odd sized baby fence to buy (for at the bottom of the stairs). What could I engineer to work, chicken wire was my thought but too many sharp edges. I would appreciate any suggestions :worship:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
How about something like a piece of plywood hinged on one side and a latch on the other.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Exactly! Just get that "Secure Solutions Swing Gate by Evenflo" (its on the webpage VD posted) and hook it up. We did it at the bottom of our stairs. We have a free standing hand rail so I had to maks a piece of wood that wouls allow me to hook up the gate at the bottom and top. I used LARGE zip ties to anchor the support to the rungs. I wish I had a digital camera to show you a pic. It works really well........until the little buggers get big enough to climb up the outside of the stair rail. Then when they turn 4 years old, they just unlock it themselves. :silly:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Look up the thread about Duct Tape uses!!:):)

Pool alarms is a must! We also put locks on the drawers and cabinets within reach. Take everything out from under your sink and put it up above your fridge. Plug covers, hanging cords from blinds and drapes. Glass coffee tables and sharp corners. Door handle covers so they can't be opened without bigger hands. ;)

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Im thinking a dog shock collar or a electric wire fence should do the job. One zap from that and he wont go near the stairs. ;)

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Thanks,
I appreciate the advice. RM the little lady would not go for the ply wood hinge idea, does'nt fit the decor...she would say, me..function over form. Elk, the duct tape thing would work, but may leave marks, the wife would be on to me. The weblinks should help me to find something to contain the dirt bike prodigy I think :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Bottom line, don't EVER take your eyes off them, no matter what. Don't take for granted that they seem contained, your eyes won't let you down.;)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Did you ever see the Simpson's episode where Homer was baby-proofing the house for Maggie (the baby). He was going through the house drawing bunny faces around all of the electrical outlets. Marge stopped him and said it would never work as a deterrant because Maggie wasn't afraid of bunnies. Homer just smiled and said, "She will be." Cruel, but funny.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Speedway
Thanks,
I appreciate the advice.
What about The swinging Gate?? No plywood necessary...

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Mike T,
We have the secure gate up top of the stairs but it was too tall for the bottom.
Maybe, it would work with some engineering with wood etc. as you suggested.
Thanks again

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ya, you've got to get one at the bottom because all they do is climb up and fall down. I'm sure you can figure something out to make it look good.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom