TEXAS INVADES MEXICO aka Uncle Rogers Tour of Mexico

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
and now you are part of the dual sport dillema. what bike to get? the klr would be ideal for mexico. its a great 50/50 bike (50%dirt/50%pavement)but it is not a single tracker. it would be a tough sled in moab. forest service type roads and lumpy pavement is its forte.

my problem is that i want a dualsport that will do singletrack and not blow up doing 70 on the pavement. i am amazed at the xt. it does both pretty darn well. it sucks in mud but most dual sports do. im looking at selling the xt and replacing it with a drz400 and save some weight. i think it would work for me in colorado, utah, and mexico.

i thought i wanted a xr650r but have decided that i dont need that much power. its great at big speed, but i would get myself into trouble in the woods.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I learned a tremendous amount while on this trip. In many ways, I believe that is what my purpose was, on this trip. Many people rode many more miles than I, saw sights that I had dreamed of and only experienced through their eyes.

All the while I was drinking in the goodness of the surroundings, the people and their willingness to help, their willingness to overcome the cultural and language barriers that separated us and create misunderstanding.

I would love to put together a group to return soon to Mexico. From watching the dynamics of the groups, I have come to believe that 8 is the absolute maximum that should be considered and 6 is about the practical limit.

Regarding going back ... Indeed, I was talking to my son night before last and he has signed on for a trip in November.

We are going back!

Regarding bikes, I too am getting a more appropriate bike for Mexico. I have come to understand that as nice as the XR-R is, it is not suited for my style, in Mexico.

I want to go slow, drink in the sounds and smells that surround me, to smile, to wave at the children, to stop along the way at roadway stands, take photos, and on and on. Life is not meant to be experienced from the confines of a hermedicially sealed cage, rather from the saddle of a beast. The friction of the wind across my gear conspires to strip me of my mask and I am alive.

For the purpose of going to Mexico, I have decided a DRZ is about the best fit for me. A 400 is plenty of power, and in stock trim, the mill is very reliable. I found that I had to fight the XR-R when I wanted to stop. It was interupting my rhythm. It was not enjoyable. The DRZ will return peace to the process for me.

I don't remember if I mentioned it anywhere above, but for some life is a destination and for others it is a journey.

For me, life is a journey. It is journey wrapped in the friendship and laughter of my friends and loved ones that I have met throughout the course of my journey. I am blessed to have found the wonderful people here at DRN.

I am in awe and blessed beyond measure.

Time is a valuable commodity. Recognizing that fact, I hope that everyone enjoyed our journey and that none considered their time wasted.

Sincerely,
Tony

Thanks for allowing Gene and I to share our journey. It was a tremendous experience.

Last edited:

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
Great report guys. I think I'm going to sell off a few more Maicos and pick up a dual sport bike. I might be interested in your Honda Tony

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Really a super read...inspiring and entertaining.

Thanks for sharing.

Ken

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like we're goin' to need a Dual Sport Forum.;)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
BSWIFT said:
Sounds like we're goin' to need a Dual Sport Forum.;)

We have one, it is just off because of lack of interest. This ride and the fact that all to many of us old farts cannot race, lead me to believe that we need to breathe some life back into it. With Gene's knowledge, maybe he should be saddled with running it ... :rotfl:

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Man , That was well written and well worth the time to read. I completely enjoyed it. :cool:Tony I hope you have completely recovered from your injury.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tony Eeds said:
Thanks for allowing Gene and I to share our journey. It was a tremendous experience.

Wow! Thank you guys. :cool:

What a fantastic ride report. I can't believe I missed this the first time around.

Top Bottom