marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
This is by far the easiest and cheapest and totally reversable way to lower your seat.5mm extra elongation of the hole gives approx 15mm lower seat height(mainly at the rear but you feel it all the way up) it works that well i have returned my 04 RM 125 to the std position as i didnt like how low it become(the 04 rm was lowered in subframe and seat already compared to the 03)

Attachments

• p1010011 (custom).jpg
    p1010011 (custom).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 924

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
So far i have done it to my 02 CR, 03 KX and 04 RM, all were fine with the mod.Im planning to use it in the lowered position only for tracks that have whoops or really big bumps-this allows my short legs the room to get my bum away from the seat.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
you should hit up elton john to see if he has some platform MX boots left over from 1973.

that deaf, dumb and blind kid sure could play mean pinball! :yeehaw:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I want to do the same thing to my YZ 250. I am worried about the tire smacking the rear fender too hard. Is there any way to verify this before I get out the trusty file????

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I think on most of the YZs you have enough clearance if you lower it moderately. On my KX the tire would hit the fender all the time, but on my YZ it has never hit the fender that I know of.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The old KX used to hit very very hard(tire marks all the way around the mudguard)-never saw any real damage from it, it can be a good tool to see if you are using full travel.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
I never saw any damage from it either. The fender must have enough flex in it to take the blow. I think the 93-02 KX's use the rear fender as the bumpstop for the rear suspension! :debil:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Bruce why are you messing up Marcus's ultra techno thread here with simple fixes like platform mx boots? :)
Marcus sing :)
MTV chime: I-want- my  I-want-my  I-want- my  Plat- form- boots :yeehaw:

Last edited:

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by steve125
MTV chime: I-want- my  I-want-my  I-want- my  Plat- form- boots :yeehaw:

here are some secret spy photos of marcus in his latest riding gear. ;) :eek: :confused:

notice he's got his elbows up, good style matey! :thumb:

Attachments

• ejcat.jpg
    ejcat.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 306

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
marcus its sunday morning here and bruce has been walking around with this big smile on his face and its not because of me!!!! i asked him what hes so pleased with himself about and hes just showed me.Now i did find this mildly amusing but i realised its at somebody elses expence so i slapped him anyway and hes in a time out,seeing that you cant defend yourself in person send all my love to claire and ross xx wife of b clapham the joker!

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Excellent style there Marcus!!!!! :) Your one hip cat!

Bruce your a bad one, :worship: thats brutal :laugh:

Last edited:

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
What did you use to elongate the hole while keeping it neat.
I am not quite sure how well it would stay put with the hole elongated I might do it the other option I was considering was cutting and rewelding the subframe which is what I heard Ricky's Mechanics do for him.
Neither one pretty much wrecks your subframe but I am interested in doing your mod if it doesnt cause the subframe to be lose with the bolt moving.

Oh and I want to do this on my 2005 YZ 125 if that makes any difference. (If the 1.5 inches lowering in my suspension doesnt cut it. I am hoping it will.)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I used a Dremel with a cutting bit on my YZ. I cut enough that the subframe bottomed out on the welds.
I've yet to see it raise back up during riding. Stays nice and secure where you put it.

*hint.... a file aint gonna do it for you, unless you have LOTS of time and elbow grease.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
Will it stay in place once you bolt it in the original position though or does the sub frame push back down when riding?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
If you want to put it back up to stock height, you may have to put some material back in which wouldn't be too hard to do.

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Yup...I'd worry about the tire hitting the fender....Every bike I've owned would get tire marks on the underside of the fenders without doing the mod...

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
For the most part, the YZ subframes interchange from year to year. If you add a 2001 subframe to an older 97 or 98 bike, the subframe is lower automatically. It dropped the back of my bike by over 1 inch. I love the new feel.

Marcus's platform shoes made it very tough to shift. Otherwise , I loved them.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
John, it was already stated that although the tire may hit the fender it never caused any negative effects besides black tire residue on the bottom side of the fender.

Top Bottom