Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I just put a R304 silencer on my sons CR125 Y02. It is the loudest bike on the track now, I like it!!. The track owner asked me to get rid of the silencer because it is too loud and is concern about environmental complaints. I had already thrown out the stock silencer so I realy do not want to spend money on another silencer - a FMF shorty could be just as lound. Any advice on how to make this silencer quieter?

Spokes574

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
completely low tech and ugly but you can wrap rubber bands made out ofcut up inner tubes around it. not sure if it actually quiets it down but it should take some of the sharpness out and make it less offensive

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
You can repack it, but if you do, don't pack it tightly around the core as this will give you a louder bike, with more power.. Instead, wrap it loosely and it should quiet down. Unfortunately doing this will not give you as much power ( it's not the end of the world :D )

Im not sure how much this will work on an aftermarket silencer, but at the very minimum it will take some 'bark' out..

** Silencer repacking is fairly easy, and not time consuming.. It should only take 10 minutes after you figure out how to seperate the core from the body... On my stock silencer I had to drill out the 3 rivets to pull it apart, and then use sheetmetal screws to put it back together.. **

( TIP: Use silicone around the end cap so when you put it back together it will seal nicely.. It might be a bit different with a 304 silencer, so if this TIP doesn't make sense, then don't worry about it!)

Good Luck!

Dan

bruce j

Dec 14, 2001
Did you really just throw out perfectly good parts because you bought an "upgrade"? You must be lucky, if I did that I'd loop it within a week and trash the new one, guaranteed.

Which way does the stinger point on this new silencer? If it goes straight back, you might be able to make it quieter by welding on an extension that points downward. You would want to make this extension as short as possible so it won't affect tuning too much.

Bruce

Last edited:

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Hey Spokes,

Your PM Inbox Is Full!!
( No problem! I never realized that I had any PM's, so sorry for the late reply!! )

Did you repack it?
I just got myself a pc pipe and 304 shorty silencer.. It sounds awesome!

Dan

Top Bottom