how to ship bike to another state to ride..

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hey, has anyone shipped a bike to another state and then flew out yourself to ride? I want to ride out west, but there is no way i can drive it. ??? anyone got ideas?

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
You could crate it up and ship it forward air.  You then have to pick it up at the local terminal when you arrive.  When you get ready to leave you would have to crate it back up and drop it off at forward air.  Cost for this could be very high and definately would be more than the cost to rent a truck for a week and drive.

Budget rent a car rents Rangers for $150 a week plus gas.  I have used them several times on long trips.  Much cheaper than shipping.  At that price I used the rental instead of my own vehicle.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
You could use the above method or you could post in the local area forum. Many of us have spare- older bikes we may be willing to loan out. I've seen this several times in the Socal crew. forum.

If you want to bring your own, and want to save money and have alot of time, you can contact a moving company or a vehicle shippng company. Often you can "tag onto" other peoples moves for alot less. You just don't get to pick your pick up and del. times.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
GoSpeedRacer and I used "BigLou Ground" to ship ours out to Reno. Spectacular pricing and service but I don't think the service goes very many places and you have to 'know' someone on the inside :laugh:

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I used a similar service called "Julius Pleaser Express" to ship my bike to Cooperland Oklahoma.  Service was top notch door to Mikeb's tent and back!  I would highly recommend this service to anyone living in the Bham area who wants to ship their bike to a ride that JP might be attending.

Thanks JP!  :)

GreenBean17

Apr 7, 2003
Hey Tim, I live in Birmingham. I tried to PM you but couldn't (didn't?) have permission. Maybe we could meet or get up a ride?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I've shipped my VOR to up to Denver a few times - With the new rates - $600 round trip. I agree with karterron - rent it and return it.

Amadeus

Apr 10, 2003
Call your local trucking companies. Sometimes they will try and fill a partially filled bed with other orders. I have personally seen this at our plant. You may get a destinaion thats a drive from yours but Im willing to bet it would be less than $500 coast to coast.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…