Apr 24, 2004
a while ago i saw a thread for "i hate my 450" and it was about how to start a 450 cold in the winter.. so i thought i would expariment,,,,,so the other day i tryed to start my honda and like them i couldnt but when i did i set up an expariment. when i was done running the bike i closed the pedlock and let it run for about 1.5 min at idle speed and reving it a little bit then shut it off. then a week later befor i started it i opend the trottle 3 times at full like i was reving the bike, then puilled the hot start 2 times really quick.. then left the choke off and kicked it and it gave a putter, then i pulled the choke out and kicked maybe 3 times more and it started right up........hope this helps to anyone who has the same problem of the 450 not starting(staybil also helps) :cool: :laugh:

B

biglou

Pull the choke, twist the throttle a couple times, kick it. All that other stuff doesn't do squat as far as cold starting is concerned.

GREENBEAN

Jan 8, 2000
in this cold weather I sometimes let two weeks go between a ride. (baby duty now). first I usually give it a couple of slow kicks 4-5 to get the juices moving around then I pull the choke. twist the throttle 4 times. kick it two to four times if it didnt start I give the throttle another twist every 2 to 4 kicks. it usually sputters out once or twice till it stays running. I havent had my 04 crf450 take over 10 kicks to stay running when it has been cold this winter meaning around 34-47 degree weather rides. Dont turn the gas while kicking... I do adjust the fuel screw 1/4 to 1/2 turn when the weather drops it seems to be sensitive in that way. a turn of the fuel screw or idle screw might help with the issues people are having.

u8dirt

~SPONSOR~
May 4, 2002
Sounds like you might want to try a 45 pilot jet combined with the richer fuel screw adj. Did it for the '05 and it's been in the teens here. Should only take a couple blips of throttle, and fire up.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
the best way to start any four stroke is to load it onto your truck, drive to the nearest dealer, roll it out and roll a new KX, CR or YZ250 in its place, then just give it one good kick. :laugh: :yeehaw: :eek:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
biglou said:
Pull the choke, twist the throttle a couple times, kick it. All that other stuff doesn't do squat as far as cold starting is concerned.

Yep.

Thanks for stealing all my fun Lou. ;)

Top Bottom