How to store your bike and Fuel questions

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
As colder weather is coming most of us will not be doing that much riding and our bikes are going to sit. My question is what should be done so that there aren't any problems when you go to get them running again in the spring? I drained all the fuel from my kids XR50 and too a look in the carb this past weekend and found that the few drops that were in there dried up into goo in the bottom of the fload bowl. I then cleaned that out and when I filled it with fresh gas, I found that the petcock was now leaking where it never did before. I guess an oring must have dried out because there was no fuel in it....

Do you drain these bikes, leave fuel in them,"fog" them with oil, dissasemble the carbs, or what? I never used to have problems with fuel like this. There must be a better way!! :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MikeT said:
I never used to have problems with fuel like this. There must be a better way!! :bang:

Mike. We are all having those problems with the new fuel formulas. Gas can't sit in a carb for more than 5-6 months without going bad. Fuels with ethanol in them are destroying little rubber o-rings inside of carbs. People in areas like Havasu are having major problems with their boats because the new formulas are eating fiberglass gas tanks.

I recommend to my customers that they drain their carbs when they are done riding and blow some compressed air up into the jets to clear any fuel that may be left in the pilot jet. If the bike is to be stored for any amount of time, you should drain the gas tank also. It's a pain in the butt but with the new fuels, it's the most efficient way. Fuel stabilizer works to a point but if the bike is going to sit for a long time, just drain the fuel.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
No help with the actual question but...

The best riding of the year here is in the winter. I would be more worried about it sitting during the summer when it is too hot to ride. :)

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Do you think it matters if it is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. I only ask because my 2T has oil in it and I wonder if that will help prevent the degredation of the seals.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
89R never intentionally lets his bikes sit....sometimes he just forgets where they are. :p
HEY!!! Quit following me around. :yell: Damn stalker. :fft:

Mike T. Pre-mixed gas does seem to last longer than straight gas and would probably protect the seals better.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Ol'89r said:
Mike T. Pre-mixed gas does seem to last longer than straight gas and would probably protect the seals better.
This bike gets ridden so infrequently I think I'm just going to run it on 100:1 two stroke. What is the worst that can happen? I might foul a plug?

Top Bottom