How to swap springs

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
HI,
i have read numerous posts on what springs to buy, get, and use. But I have not really found much on actually swapping the springs. Do I just onscrew to top off and pull the assembly out with the spring, remove the old spring, and put the new one in, cutting a piece of pvc pipe to make a spacer with 10mm of pre-load. And then top to oil off to 100mm below the top of the fork compressed. and the slap the asseembly back in and tighten everything up?

If this is right it sounds too easy... when i pull the assembly out there won't be any loose parts?

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
Oh, forgot,
what size socket will i need to unscrew the caps off, as i don't want to use an adjustable wrench for this... It's a 2003 kdx 220

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I just got my '01 XR400 springs in the mail today. Need to install them in my 03 200. I am very interested in this too!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. What size socket?

I don't know. I could measure the setting of my adjustable wrench and divide by 25.4....nah! ;)

Easier out of the bike, especially if you're checking oil levels.

In the bike:
  • Support bike with stand/jack/blocks-o-stuff
  • Remove bars (mark angle and placement prior with felt tip pen)
  • Loosen top clamp bolts
  • Loosen top cap (adjustable wrench beats vise-grips!)
  • Extend springs from fork tubes (use tiedown strap to hold)
  • Use your 'special purpose tool' to hold spring below rod nut
  • Remove top cap (wrench on rod nut)
  • Remove holder and spring.
  • Put it back together with proper spacers

Oil level is checked with the spring out and the fork collapsed. That's where it's easier dealing with the fork out of the bike altogether.

The 'special purpose tool' can be nothing more than a piece of sheet metal with a slot cut in it the width of the rod diameter to the depth of the spring circumference. It holds the spring out of the way so you can get a wrench on the jam nut when you remove the top cap from the rod.

Check the torque specs...but the jam nut/top cap is something like 8ft/lbs, the top clamp bolts 14ft/lbs, top cap ...uh 22ft/lbs or so? Heck..check your manual!

Viola!! Well...cello or something like that....

Last edited:

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Do you use the jam nut like a lock nut against the under side of the cap when you reassemble? That's what I did. Everything is back together now. We'll see how she rides this weekend hopefully.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Oh....and make sure you transfer the clips from the bottom of the springs you take out to the springs you put in.

Only have one on one spring? The other one is down in the bottom of the fork then. It needs to come out. It won't center itself on the new spring.

If your springs had no such clip, you should get a couple and put them on.

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
Mine had the clips, lucky for me clip number 2 fell off after I got the spring out. But then there's the story of the combo wrench that liked to dive in fork oil :eek:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You mean the one with all the metal filings gumming up the jaws? ;)

Sounds like you're good to go!

Have fun 'testing'!

Braahp

~SPONSOR~
Jan 20, 2001
Take the forks off the bike!!! Much, much easier. Probably faster too....and you don't have to remove bars which is a PITA. Go ahead and change out with new fork fluid. Use a 7/16th open end as the "special tool" to hold down spring under nuts to than take off top cap. Yes you can use a C wrench....cap shouldn't be on too tight. A rubber hose works great as a rod holder. You can actually reach it if it falls down into tube but hose does make it easier when it comes to putting it all back together. All in all a spring swap will be one of the easier things you can do to your bike. Here is a pretty good link- http://www.dishers.com/index_Dirtbikes.html
While your at it get you some graphics like on the KDX. hehe

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…