dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I was thinking that the reason for all of my harsh fork troubles, might be fork binding.

When I pull in the brake and push down, the forks are smooth for a small part of travel, then suddenly get a little bit stiffer.

Is this a symptom of fork binding, and if so, how do I fix it?

thanks

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
Is it just harder to push down or does it creak, like kind of catch then release as it goes down. If it just gets harder to push without the creak, then I think thats normal. But if it creaks, then you need to loosen the clamp that holds the front axle and move the axle back and forth until both forks are parallel. Then tightnen it again and see if it still creaks. I'm not totally sure though. You might just not be used to the stiffer suspension on the bigger bikes.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
It is very normal for forks to get stiffer to push as they move down in the stroke, that's what keeps the bike suspended after all. if it were easy to push down all the way then when you came off a phat jump it would compress within 2 milliseconds of landing, if you can actually push your forks all the way down to where it bottoms, then there is something wrong, but just to be safe and have ease of mind you should align your forks anyways, hope this helped
Jeff

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
They should get progressively stiffer as you push them down, you shouldn't be able to notice it getting suddenly stiffer. Have you tried taking the forks off and trying them individually to see if maybe one is bent or the bushes gone in one? If they are not stiff individually then you probably need to do as Glitch said and align them properly. I think this is covered better in Eric's book but basically make sure the forks are level in the triple clamps, torque the triple clamp pinch bolts down. I think now you put in the front wheel and tighten the axle leaving the axle pinch bolts lose. Now spin the front wheel and grab the front brake, do this a few times. Then tighten one pair of pinch bolts and repeat the wheel spinning and braking a few time, tighten the other pinch bolts. This made a big difference to the feel of my forks, I could never understand why after changing the front tyre the forks would sometimes be stiff, other times not...

Hope that helps some...

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
When I push down on the forks, travel is smooth, but at one point in the travel near the point where I can no longer compress it any further, it feels like a little notch or something, and it makes a very quiet popping sound.

Would binding do this or is there some other problem, or no problem at all

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Doesn't sound good, Del

I can tell if my forks are binding by watching the forks when I slowly bounce up and down while sitting in the middle of the seat. Do they move or is all of the movement coming from the shock? Even if your forks are aligned perfectly, there is less stiction in the shock so they won't move as much as the rear suspension, but the forks should move smoothly and in sync w/ the shock. If they don't, try aligning them.

To add to what these guys are saying, if you forks are binding, you're not only experiencing a harsh ride, you are wearing out your fork bushings, inner and outer tubes.

I suggest doing like they say...loosening the pinch bolts on the front axle. They are on the non-brake side of the front wheel. I usually take the bike off of the stand, hold the front brake and bounce the forks up and down a couple of times, trying to get them to move as far into their stroke as possible. Put the bike back on the stand and tighten the pinch bolts.

If you really want to be sure about the alignment...loosen the axle pinch bolts, take off your handlebars, loosen the top triple clamp pinch bolts, unscrew the fork caps, put something under the back tire (or get someone to hold it up) until the forks are bottomed out and then tighten the axle pinch bolts and you'll have perfectly aligned forks (as long as your fork tubes are 100% straight).

I used to do that everytime, but the first method works good enough.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Thanks, los. What I did do was loosen the pinch bolts with the bike on the stand, then I tightened them back up.

I will try your method asap, and let you guys know if it helped.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
re-read Zenith's post. He answered his own question.

He concluded that if you change your front tire and don't check the forks' alignment, sometimes you'll get lucky and they will be aligned closely and other times they will be in a bind.

helio

Dec 19, 2001
I have read (Mx-Tech web site) that the recommended torque for top clamps is 220 lbs and for the lower clamp pinch bolts to 168 lbs.
Anybody can tell me the right torque for left side axle pinch bolts pair and for right side pair ? I do not have the manual...Maybe it is time get one...

Thanks

KX'er

Oct 12, 2000
Wow, I think that is a little steep on the torque. 22.0 FT/LBS upper and 16.8 FT/LBS lower sounds more like it. It doesn't take much to hold the forks in place....

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
You've bound to have misread something helio. It would take one HUGE bolt (larger than an axle bolt) to take 220 ft/lb of torque. Mine requires 17 ft/lb and 14 ft/lb.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I had the same exact problem dell with my CR125 forks. I was told by any rider this is normal and I never had a front end problem...Just my $0.02 gohper boy.

Last edited:

helio

Dec 19, 2001
3. Tighten each bolt (in an alternating fashion) in the top clamps to 220 inlbs.
4. Tighten the lower clamp pinch bolts to 168 inlbs. (Over tightening of the lower pinch bolts may result in a mid-stroke harshness condition).

I have copy paste the above from Mx-Tech(from downloads section-Fork installation instructions).

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom