Avena Quaker

Dec 9, 2004
Hi, yesterday I was checking the rear sag of the bike and thought it would be a good idea to check the front also, something I've never done before.. well, I found something strange when I proceded to check the static sag of the fork... in first 2-3 inches of the stroke, the fork just stays there where I leave it.. and doesn't compress on its own weight or returns to a higher position.

I tried everything to be sure the forks arent' binding... loosened the bolts, pushed it against a wall, tighten again.. nothing. Then I tought It might be the seal, so I removed the dust wipers, and slid a film negative around the seal util there was some oil oozing out. Nope, they are the same.
When I jump over the bike the stroke feels very smooth all the way, but think It doenst compress with my weight (static sag is the same than rider sag..).

What could be causing this ? The only work I have done to the forks is removing the base valve to change the valving, and changed oil... nothing else. Stock, my bike was very stiff and deflective for my riding, and removing some shims cured it to some extent, but now I'm thinking it could have been the forks binding/sticking the first cause of this...

Top Bottom