agressive1

Jan 23, 2007
Hey Guys

I would like to know how you could tell when the bike needs a new clutch. I know that you can tell by when the bike barely moves while you rev.

But is there any other sign of telling you.

How often should they be changed?.

Mx yz 219

Jun 19, 2006
You can normally smell when your clutch is burning up but you can take the clucth cover off and look at the fiber plates. most times the fiber is about gone when the clutch is going. you can also see some stuff in your oil when it's burnning up.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You replace your clutch when it slips, the friction plates are worn below their service limit, or the steel plates are warped beyond theirs. A bike that rolls with the clutch in is due to warped plates. However, most MX bike clutches do drag. It shouldn't be enough to make you roll forward, but you will still feel the bike pushing on you a little, especially if you try to roll it backwards.

agressive1

Jan 23, 2007
If you hold in the clutch whilst your in a gear or not in a gear are you still wearing out the clutch with out moving?.

If you ride the clutch is this causing wear and tear?.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It wears the clutch a little bit to pull the lever in while in gear, it wears your oil more because it generates a lot of heat.

You shouldn't need to ride the clutch, a little slip here and there to get the bike back in the power band or a little slip to bring the rear wheel under control in slick conditions. The rest of the time, you should just let it all of the way out.

I do ride some trails that are too tight for even my first gear and in this case, you do have to ride the clutch a while. You get about 3 minutes with it out in 30 minutes of riding. Even this doesn't seem to cause too much wear.

Top Bottom