Husky 50cc any good?

headbanger

May 7, 2000
Looking at a 00 CR50S for my 6 yr old to replace his PW50. Are there many problems with these bikes? Any thing to look for?
It will be used for trail riding and possibly youth harescrambles.
I have read the little Husky 50's are good woods bikes, any truth to that?
Thanks Guy's :thumb:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
My son rides the 01 50 Sr. And the only problem I've hade is with the magneto. It went out 2 times in the first month. And 1 time shortly after. Every time it was replaced free by the shop. Other than that it has a very friendly motor. With the 2 shoe clutch, it doesn't have the hit as say a Polini or Cobra does. This will be ideal in the woods, but being air cooled, of course there would be some issues. Ours has been a great bike. But the only thing negative I can tell you about it is, I've been trying for 3 months to sell ours (and it looks brand new, and is in tight shape) and I can't hardly give the thing away. I don't know what it is, but people don't seem to want to buy a used Husky around here. And this price is not even close to being overpriced.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
The very few of them that race around here do well. The older air cooled ones use the same morini motor used by Cobra,KTM. I have also heard of ignition failures around here. They seem like good little bikes though. Not sure about trail riding. I'd get a KLX110 for that. The torque would really help. The Morini motors don't have much in the way of torque. Also the Polini 3 shoe clutch fits and will help the bike rev in to the power curve before the clutch engages.

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I had the same problem with the magneto/stator on my sons '01 Husky 50 JR. It is a great little bike with lots of motor and suspension, perfect for the motocross track. I think very highly of the bike even though it's not orange. Way more power and suspension than the JR50 that he had prior to this. I would question that it, or any of these Morini (KTM, Husky, LEM etc..) mini's are great woods bikes. I guess it depends on what kind of woods you ride in. If they are or rolling woods with relatively good traction you will be fine. These are not hill climbing bikes. The centrifigul clutch is a very limiting factor. The power delivery also makes them very hard to control when the traction is slippery. The young rider will have to develop excellent throttle control to navigate through any muddy stretches, but I guess that's not a bad thing. You don't want to take these bikes though any deep water because the plastic magneto cover is attched to the case by a couple of clips. The seal between the cover and the magneto is not even close to being water tight (perhaps the reason for all of the magneto problems). You can get water in the magneto cover just by washing the bike.
I have posted on this site several times for suggestions from other owners about how they seal these covers but not gotten a response.

I hope this information helps in your decision.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Buy the cobra 8*) The cobra with the morini motor has a bolt on cover that you can seal either with a homemade gasket or sealant of some sort.
But if you don't want to try that you could use sealant and safety wire the cover on instead of the cheesy clips.
BTW on the PVL importer site they say the main cause of failure for their ignitions is water getting on them while hot. Causing breakdown of the insulator epoxy.

headbanger

May 7, 2000
Have you had any trouble getting part for the Husky? Do they go through top ends (piston,rings) often? Would it be hard to lower the bike's seat height?
What's a good price for a 00 CR50 senior in good condition? A local dealer has new 01 CR50 senior for $1550
Thanks Guy's :silly:

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I know our local guys have had terrible times with parts. We have loaned out a bike on a few occasions that they were waiting for pipe, stator, piston and something else I can't quite remember.
It might have more to do with our local dealer though. They don't stock squat for the bike. I've heard there is a large dealer in Florida that is quite good with parts and deals with mail order.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Alot of those little mini parts are interchangeable esp motor parts . The Igns do have problems even after you seal them with silicone, and if the chain ever flys off and hits the stator . The cluches have been known to explode and come through thr R/S case . The carbs on the earlier ones seemed to be real rich .Also the air filter could get wet real easy in puddles . The pistons on some(MOTO MORINIS) are not interchangeable , different piston for with reeds . If you put in a piston that is designed to use with reed valves the base motor will not hsardly want to run , the w/reeds piston has a hole on the intake skirt. Huskys (no matter what type ) dont have much of a resale value here in the states . Action 50ccs are total junk. Take a good look at whayts popular on the 50 cc starting line and that will give you a good impression of what is dependable . I guess $1550 is not a bad price , Not a bad bike if youre handy .Parts arecpretty cheap if you know where to go . GOOD LUCK

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
If your little rider is going to be doubling jumps and tearing around the teack, better go with a Cobra or Polini. If he's just going to race and ride, and learn the basics while doing this. The Husky will be a great bike.
My son usually came in 3rd most of the time (on a Husky) :thumb: , but when it rained and the track was wet, (only happend 3 times) he won. The little guys on the Polinis and Cobras seemed to have to much get up and go to get any kind of traction. That's what I liked about the Husky. Not a real quick rever. It does get up and go, just takes awhile longer. And to me that's good for a kid learning the ropes. ;)

mdsutton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 7, 2002
Hello, my son has a 01 senior and loves it. What I have learned is to make sure and locktight the flywheel inside after it has been broke in and it won't come out through the side. Also everyone is right, water is not friendly it ruins the stater and it gets inside the airbox and flows directly into the carb. Seat height can be changed by getting the seat from a Junior model, it snaps and bolts right on and lowers the seat by about 2". My son started riding in June and by luck got 4th in the Oregon State Championship series. If you want more information on the bike and parts talk to Bill at Bill's Motorcycle Plus in Salem Oregon, he stocks a lot of parts and is quite knowledgeable. Good luck and have fun.

mcnut182

Nov 5, 2002
I just got rid of my son's 01 CR50 S. I hated it! Good suspension. Crap motor! I went through many ignitions, three clutches, one crank, and one top end. The crank and top end got trashed after the first clutch implosion. The thing vibrated so much we constantly lost hardware and had to weld pipe & motor mounts, etc. BTW, I had the thing for sale for over a year. I lost my butt. :(

Since my boy will be 9 this month and he really doesn't care to race, we're going with a Honda XR80 (defines reliability). Change the oil, clean the filter and ride!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…