aphid200

Nov 1, 2002
I have searched and searched so please forgive this recurring topic! All of the aftermarket hydraulic brake switches I have seen for the rear master cylinder stick up too high and conflict with the reservoir. Has anyone found one that's lower profile and actually fits without interference? The KDX is not cooperating on this thing that should be so simple. BTW, it's an '01 200. Thanks!

mikdxer

Mar 6, 2003
Brake Switch

I use a mechanical switch on my KDX's. I bought one out of a bone yard and the other out of Marshall catalog at my dealer. I think that one was listed for a Honda. Under your side panel above your rear brake resevoir there's bracket attached to the frame where you mount this switch. I used a piece of utility wire inside some nylon tube and attached that to the brake lever. The part that activates the switch that is. I then used a 5 ohm resistor in line to tail light. By-passed this resistor with the brake switch. works great!

aphid200

Nov 1, 2002
I actually got very close to the solution you suggest but was stumped because the actuator wire run to the pedal is not straight and the prospects for a pivot were annoying. Without a pivot, the wire/cable/whatever just kind of saws on the frame. Due to the bracket you point out, it makes me wonder if there is some other model (on a different continent) that has this all as factory equipment? I wouldn't even ride this bike on the street, but Ranger Rick and Sheriff Sam seem to want to stake out short roads connecting trail segments these days, in CO.
:bang:

Wallydog

May 14, 2002
I used the hydraulic switch just fine. It does get in the way of the resevoir so I relocated the resevoir inboard of the current location and put a bolt through the resevoir into the existing bolt from inside the frame. Sticks out a tad more in harms way but its been there and works fine in 2 years of hard use. Have a look for yourself.

aphid200

Nov 1, 2002
I ended up relocating the reservoir but I put it up a little higher. The inboard location put it awfully close to the pipe. I actually thought I found a hydraulic switch that would clear from Electrex but they didn't know what they were talking about. Theirs has the same clearance problem as all the rest.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom