KDX200 Rear Brake Light Switch - help needed

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
i've been recently completing the wiring on my '84 kdx200 (aus B1 version), all done with great success so far... i've now come to installing the rear brake light switch. i've purchased an oem switch, it's now installed to the frame as per factory default location. what spring setup is used to connect the switch to the rear brake pedal? i've had no luck on this, as the stupid swingarm bolt head is in the way! and the kickstarter would definitely 'crunch' any spring that'd be nearby... any thoughts/recommendations/advice/HELP!!! on this topic? please keep in mind that this is for an '84 model with a rear 'drum brake' setup, so no plumbing to contend with.

thanks in advance.

Rob C.

http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~rcacic/kdx200

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
yep, there is an oem switch for this kdx... part # 27010-1019.

my bike is an australian model (B1), it i think is based loosely on the SR version floating around in other countries like Japan, UK, etc.

it has a different headlamp assembly (squared off and larger lens) running a 6V 30W/30W setup, blinkers, horn, battery (which has been stripped off this particular bike long ago), tail light with dual filament bulbs (stop/tail) running a 6V 17/5.3W setup...

i would have thought that all KDXs have a basic brake lamp setup... or is it just the tail light with no brake switch?

interestingly, finding this sorta info (like lighting, street legal accessories) is very very difficult. for some strange reason, these items are not even listed in the oem parts catalog/fiche.

so yeah... any one got any ideas re the spring? maybe id have to fabricate some fancy lil bracket that'll do the job...

Nice Guy Eddie

Uhhh...
Jun 30, 2004
Rob84KDX200 said:
i would have thought that all KDXs have a basic brake lamp setup... or is it just the tail light with no brake switch?

Neigh buttercup... I have never seen a KDX with a brake light (which might explain why it is so hard to find these parts)... most KDX's (that I know of) have no battery, blinkers, brake lights, or horn.... just a tail light with no switch

mosesbmx

Dec 14, 2003
my 91 kdx 200 has a brake light. it also had a switch that was on the brake pedal and one on the lever, the foot one didnt work so i tossed it out with the spring. sorry i cant help mate. hey rob what part of oz are you in im in melb. ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Rob, can you drill a small hole in the brake pedal for the spring, and try to run the spring on the inside of the brake pedal? Maybe replacing the spring with one of a different lenght or width will allow you to do this easier.

BTW, www.bajadesigns.com has several brake light switches in their catalog, but they don't have pictures of each one. .

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
hey dave...

there already is a lil tab on the inside of the brake pedal for this purpose. with a hole for a spring.

looks like i may have to drill another in a different spot, out of the way.

mosesbmx

Dec 14, 2003
moses

yes mate jesus rode a kdx but he had a 220 ;) im in wantirna sth so were probably preety close together. just came bake from lake eildon it was awsome we got snowed on if your after a spring for your bike i think ive got my old one in the shed. Anyway hope you have solved your problem. c- ya mate :cool: if you want the spring my email is bykesarecool@hotmail.com

Last edited:

Rob84KDX200

Jan 31, 2004
hey moses...

well, jesus ought to be spreading the word... kdx220s for us aussies!

glad u enjoyed lake eildon... hows the riding up there?

im in hampton park, just a few minutes from dandenong. it's about 30 mins away from wantirna i'd reckon.

as far as the spring issue goes... i've managed to locate an afermarket brake switch (complete with spring - $10 aus). it is now crunched, thanks to the nearby kickstart lever and swingarm bolt head!

mind you, it still does its job (goes on, goes off), but don't know if it will withstand a full days riding... time will tell i guess.

Top Bottom