hye im new and need help with a kx

RideTilDie

Aug 1, 2008
Hey guys whats up
i just bought a 2001 kx85 for 800. I had a couple questions,
1. My friend had a ttr 125 and it was evident when to shift, on my kx the sound from the exhaust is the same and i dnot know when to shift, when to down shift or how to down****. I know how to shift but not down**** help please
2. there is alot of somke coming from the exhaust and im using a racing oil mixture for the gas.
3. how can i learn about two stroke engines and what 2 stroke means?
4. what things can i check to make sure the bike is in working order and there isnt alot wrong with it?

please help anybody thanks
oliver

btm1948

Jun 4, 2008
the smoke is normal its a two stroke your going to have smaoke. i would take a riding class if i were you it will make it very easy and for the bike get a shop manual and it will tell you every thing you need to look for on your bike

Dylan19302

Jun 27, 2008
when you said you use a racing mixture what is it. Usually a good mixture is 32 to 1. The difference between 2 and 4 stroke engines is a 4 stroke has for different possitions and valve openings. It starts out with intake (piston goes down), compression (piston goes up), power stroke (piston gets force down), and exhaust (piston forces out exhaust). Then it restarts. A 2 stroke has intake, then it ignites at the top gets forced down opening the exhaust hole while taking in gas. so it ignites every time it goes up were 4 strokes fire every other time.

bmxboy23

Aug 2, 2008
the smoke is normal in a 2 stroke all 2 strokes smoke. and if u dont know wat a powerband is look it up it will hurt u. powerbands r only in 2 strokes.

VISaki

May 25, 2008
you shift on a 2 stroke at the top hard constant wine which gets there pretty quickly..what oyu don't want to do is engine break..thats takeing the RPM's up say in 2nd gear and letting go of the throttle and just listening to the engine whine down..no don't do that your not lubricating the cylinder when you do that..its not bad for say 2 seconds but constant doing that can damage your cylinder...learn to once you have to let go off the gas that you grab the clutch in and use the breaks instead..also with the clutch in blip the gas to lubricate and keep from bogging and flooding your carb.

May 10, 2007
bmxboy do you run an aftermarket powerband?? :coocoo:

FIRST powerbands are "on" every engine though they are not really on. the powerband is a characteristic of how the engine makes its power. when you are in the powerband (also called being "on the pipe") the engine is producing its most torque and peak HP that is why you want to keep it in the band. like i said all engines have a powerband but on a 2T it is much more noticable then on a 4T like the ttr because it is much more narrow. 4t have a more broad powerband that makes them more beginner friendly.

now when you are riding you want to sit as far forward as you can because when it hits the powerband the bike will surge forward and the front wheel can lift up. this is caused by the bikes increase in torque and power.

SHIFTING....you will know when to shift by the sound of the engine. if you listen you will hear it start to speed up and change. this is the bike starting to hit the band. after awhile the bike will keep accelerating and then start to drop off. you want to shift BEFORE this point. but not too soon before as you want to keep it in the band. sometimes it will take fanning (feathering/ butterflying) the clutch to keep it in the band. the only way to really get it down is to just ride. it will come to you. you will shift more then the ttr though.

SMOKE....the smoke is normal. it comes from burning the oil in the gas that lubricates the cylinder. if you are seeing oil dripping out of the silencer then you may want to rejet. you may also want to rejet if you are fouling plugs or think that the smoke is WAAAAAY too much.

hope this helps

May 10, 2007
RideTilDie said:
flyingfuzzball can you buy powerband and replace them?

YEA MAN THEY MAKE THEM SUPA FAST AND STUFF U KNO WHAT I MEAN? WHAT KIND R U LOOKING AT????

no powerband is not a part on an engine. it is not a part.(period) it is a term that defines when the engine is making its most power and torque. i just wrote that in the first post.

you can modify your powerband such as making it lower in the revs or higher or you can make it broader etc mostly by changing the pipe.

VISaki

May 25, 2008
you can upgrade your powerband...what are you talking bout lmao buy a 125 lmfao this is to much,,,he's right theres no suchthing as buying powerband you can buy parts to increase your poerband or to get it there sooner to the top of your powerband but you can;t purchse this part...don't forget to oil your exhaust bearings too while your at it if your rejetting it also. you can buy exhaust bearings from pro cercuit there the cheapest stuff they have and make the most horsepower lol. The easiest way to see your powerband or any for that matter is to watch a dyno sheet those lines are your powerband..

VISaki

May 25, 2008
you can also re-ring your piston if its still in good condition I just did that on my kx100 cleaned the air filter(do that regularly) and she runs stronger than when I got her used...also you probably have 2 rings in your piston which is good for less rebuilds but doesn't get high in your powerband as quickly as a single ring piston.

Top Bottom