RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
After 15 years of riding together my son has decided to call it quits. He has been riding since he was 4 years old and I really enjoyed watching him improve his skills even when he became able blow by me like I was standing still :scream: It was nice to have someone to ride with when no one else was free to ride.

He’s going to be 20 soon and between school, work and his car he just doesn’t have time to ride. On top of that he knew the guy who became paralyzed (click here) pretty good and it really hit him hard. He’s never been one to back off from going faster or hitting bigger jumps and quite frankly he got scared. He has always ridden smart and never got hurt real bad but now he is seriously thinking about the consequences. Now he knows why I don’t do all the doubles or go bonsai to pass someone or why I don’t want to race. I’d rather he stop now and wait until he gets his head straight instead of riding scared. I’m sure he’ll get back into it (didn’t most of us? ;)) when he gets older.

I’m not going to talk him out of his decision. He has to do what’s right for him. I’ve always told him to trust his intuition and this is no different.

His bike is for sale here: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&postid=344637#post344637

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Wow, what a bummer. I've got my kid riding and he's been my riding for a while now also. The only problem now is that he wants to go to the desert and party with the rest of the fools, chicks, etc... you see where this is going for a married Dad! It seems as though my riding buddy might be taking a different line soon, as far as I can see. :ugg:

He used to be the only one that would ride at the drop of a dime with me when I asked, now, not sure what will happen. Sorry to hear it RM, but maybe it's for the best if he decided to do that. Good luck.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Getting scarred is better than getting hurt. Sounds like he is making the right decision for right now.

And how many riders do we know that leave----and then come back to the sport, and they usually come back older and smarter.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Senior is right. You never really quit. It's just time off. I came back after over 10 years off a bike.

Once you've got the bug, you're never really cured . . .

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
RM,
These guys are right. Took me 25 years to get back, better late than never! :) Hang tuff bro, he'll be fine.

Scott

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
He's already talking about coming back and when he does hope he is smarter and wiser. I was out of it for 10 years myself but for different reasons. It's also hard because like elk said, he would go riding with me at the drop of a hat.

BTW, his mom is very glad he is taking a break. She' been working on me too but don't worry, I'll never quit. She wouldn't like it if I quit. :debil:

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
RM,
Is keeping the bike an option for those days when you might say "let's go!"? You never know, giving him his space and time away, then later for him to have a good day back on the trails might be all it takes for him to return for good. :)

Sounds like you have the bike ready to go and very reasonably priced. IMO you could hold on to it for a year and still get what you're asking now. Just a thought.

Good Luck,
Scott

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by bscottr
RM,
Is keeping the bike an option for those days when you might say "let's go!"? You never know, giving him his space and time away, then later for him to have a good day back on the trails might be all it takes for him to return for good.

Thats why I still have a 125 parked next to my 310 :) But don't tell my wife that :D

I too have a riding buddy thats taking a break. :) :)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by bscottr
RM,
Is keeping the bike an option for those days when you might say "let's go!"? You never know, giving him his space and time away, then later for him to have a good day back on the trails might be all it takes for him to return for good. :)
Right now he see the bike as a car/insurance payment :eek: and my wife see it as clutter :scream: He had been talking about upgrading anyway so when he gets back into it he'll be getting a new one.
Sounds like you have the bike ready to go and very reasonably priced... [/B]
Thanks. I like to hit the track/trail with a bike that looks like it's ready to sell. :)

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
So true, dirt biking is an uncureable condition. I was off bikes for 10+ years, and I just couldn't stand it anymore...I'm back on an iron saddle again.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Being 20 is tough. Give him some time to think, and odds are he will prob want to come back. Took me 6 years to realize I had the bug, and had to get back into riding.

Kids have all sorts of directions they want to go at once. Be patient.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I quit racing/riding around the same age (20), Women, night clubs, and hot rod cars seemed more interesting to me at the time. Ten years later I started racing/riding again. It's probaly a good thing RM Guy. :D

Top Bottom