I’ve finally gone to the dark side and bought a 4 stroke…

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
…and got this little gem, a 1974 Honda Mini Trail Z50. :) I learned to ride on a 1969 Mini Trail and this was close enough. It runs good and hauls my large butt around nicely. I have to replace the throttle cable and get new tires and maybe piston and rings but otherwise it’s in pretty darn good shape! It’s an early birthday present from my wife. She’s a gem too!

First question, does anyone know how to remove the throttle at the handlebar? The cable runs through the bar and I can’t figure out how to get it off. There is so much play in the cable that it only runs about half throttle right now.

Attachments

• Quarter size.jpg
    Quarter size.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 125

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Well, that is a much clearer picture of the assembly and it looks like I have to remove the grip to get to a screw that releases things. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Dave... Finally a bike you can handle. I will admit its fun to play around on these little bikes. My friend and I have had some epic battles on our kids 50s, but games over when I hop on the XR75. Check out planetminis.com there's a few people over there restoring old Z50s.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah It's fun to bomb around on. I was able to get the throttle cable off but had to remove the grip. I'm glad they changed the design. The cable was fine, I just had to adjust it at the carb to get full throttle. Now I have a flat spot when reving it up that I have to tune out.

Thanks for the website Bill.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Wow !! Rear shocks on a mini trail. I guess no one in our neighborhood had a high zoot "late-model" mini trail. I love these little bikes. Way cool.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah, the one I learned on when I was a kid didn't have any shocks so I thought I'd give myself a treat with the second go-around!

Top Bottom