gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
I had been trying to get my wife and daughter out riding. occassionaly my daughter would go with me but was never enthuiastic about riding and after an hour or so she would want to go home.

Last week I was on vacation and had a few days that I wasn't doing anything so Sunday I told my daughter she was going riding with me at NJORVP. I also told her that I thought she was ready to go on the intermediate track (if I follow her). She seemed a little excited about trying the track out. So on the way over to the park I talk to her about all the turns and what they were like. I told her which ones were flat and which had ruts and how to ride them.

When we got there she was a little scared (and so was I) and wanted to ride the begginer track for a while first. After a few times around the track she built up the nerve to try the larger track. She told me she was ready so after a little more instruction from me I led her to the entrance of the track and told her when to go.

She pretty much followed all my instructions about riding the turns and made it all the way around the track. With me following close behind. I expected her to ride off the track after the first lap to tell me if she liked it or not but she continued to ride for three laps. We rode off the track and pulled over. She looked at me with a big smile and said "That was fun, lets go again". Without waiting for me she shot back over to the entrance to the track as I rushed to catch up.

There were a couple minor crashes as she experimented in the turns but nothing that made her want to quit. Whe must have done about thirty laps on that track a little faster each time. The weather started to look bad so we packed up just before it started to pour. We had so much fun that we went back Friday with my wife.

My wife has been scared to ride and the few times that she has gone riding, hasn't been real inspirational.

We got to the park and geared up. I had them both follow me to the begginer track and we all went around once. I looked and there was my wife trying to paddle the bike with her feet through the turns. She got to the end and said "I don't like this track". So I then took her toward the Quad track. Near the entrance to the track they have a big open area. We stopped there and I started to tell her what we were going to practice there. She told me she just wanted to practice on her own and that we could go ride.

So back to the intermediate track. We rode for about four hours that day with several breaks. Me following closely behind my daughter so nobody runs her over. Instructing her when to move over so others could pass. As the day went on I watched her experimenting on different sections. I also noticed her standing up on the hills. I had often instructed her on when to stand up but she didn't always do it. I thought that's great she's practicing standing up. As we went around a few more times I noticed that she started gassing it at the top of the hill. It hit me, she's trying to jump the hill! :eek: :) I was a little scared and kinda happy. I didn't want discourage her but I was a little nervous about encouraging her too. She was having fun and I just let her go. Towards the end she did get the front wheel off the ground little.

We started to get hungry and it was time to go. I went to get my wife. As I got closer I was watching her ride. She was going faster then ever before. She was riding figure eights faster then she had previously ridden in a straight line. :) It's all starting to come together.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The day was not without mishap. I figured that I would be following behind my daughter all day so why wear my elbow pads. I'm not going fast, it's hot and they can be uncomfortable.

One of the times my daughter pulled off the track I decided to take a lap myself. I came to the last jump which I usually hit in second gear I thought lets try it in third. My rear wheal got kicked up, my feet came off the pegs. As I struggled and got my feet back on the pegs the front wheel touched the ground. The bike slid to the right and I came straight down on my chest. I was fine (I love my chest protector) I went to get up. I'm still sliding :eek: slid across my fore-arm when I realized it I flipped over to slide on the back of my chest/back protector. This became a lesson to my daughter, This is why you wear all your protective gear.

The second accident of the day was going over the starting hill. We had just cleared the hill and a beggining rider who I guess was not looking ahead hit my rear tire then took me down with him. As the bike was falling I stepped out to the left to catch myself. As I did the handlebars came right down on my foot. :whiner: Dam that hurt.

Me and my daughter also started going to a BMX track close by on Monday night. She crashed a couple of times but know she's having a ball we're going to buy her a new bike for the track. Don't know if i'm gonna get myself a cruiser or a 20" to ride with her but either way this is fun!!!

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
How old is your daughter?
It's always great to hear of other women getting into the sport. Keep encouraging them & tell them to pop into the women's forum and say hi.
A good sign with us women is if we ride something longer than expected, it usually means we enjoy it. I know when I take a bike for a test ride, my friend judges by what trail I go on/come back on as to what I thought of the bike - she's not always right though lol.
Good report & by the sounds of it, there's another two women hooked on off-road ;)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
My daughter is seven she started riding almost a year ago. We took the training wheels off this year and she's starting to gain some confidence in her riding. I want her to get better but when she starts going faster and trying to jump things I get nervous. I might be more afraid of her getting hurt then she is.

I figured the Monday night BMX thing will help with her bike handling skills while giving us time together. With the added benefit of being good exercise.

I just try to get my wife out as much as possible. She says that she has a good time and think that once she becomes more confident she definately will. My daughter will probably be riding the trails at paragon with me before she does but sooner or later I'm gonna have a riding partner. :thumb:

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Man, that's great! I'm just now getting my dad into the sport after 30+ years of not owning a bike. We always have a great time.... I tend to be a bit nervous when I'm riding with him though. He's old(55 or so) and about 300lbs riding a yzf426(great beginers bike huh?) He improves everytime we ride and I have a blast watching him progress! What a sport!

Ride on,
Tom

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
Has your wife ridden any other bikes? The KLX110 seems awful small for her. Maybe she would feel more comfortable on a bike more her size, like a KLX125L or TTR125L?

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Srellis, lol, leave her be. Hell, if she's not confident on a KLX110 (but gaining confidence), give her time ;) I'd rather see another female on a smaller bike & riding than one with a larger bike. Then again, sometimes a smaller bike can be harder to ride (says me who's being torn between my KDX200 & TTR125L - but they're both fun)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
My wife is only 4' 11" I tried to get her started on a larger bike but she wanted her feet on the ground. After working with her and seeing how nervous she is it was probably better she went with the 110. Another factor was that she did not want the clutch. This was the largest bike I could get that had an automatic clutch.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
That does make a big difference! I didn't know if she was uncomfortable because of the small bike. I know when I get on my son's KX85, the difference in height between it and my TTR makes me feel uncomfortable. The bigger wheel helps me feel more upright and stable.  I started on an XR80 and was afraid I was going to fall off the back most of the time. I didn't feel like I could stand up without going over the bars either. Tell her she has a giant cheering section for her!!!

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Cool report and great news GX! Hey maybe we can do a family ride at paragon some time? I had a great break throughweekend with my girlfriend this weekend and I think she is ready to put paragon maybe. Or you can always come over and ride with us on the ohter side, the terain is a bit more easy over there. There is alot more easy riding to be had. Bring the wife too! we will have a great time on two wheels I think.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Good job getting the whole family out for a ride, gxdragon!  Confidence, and experience-- the more you have, the better it gets. ;)

Next year, DirtWeek!  Right?! :)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Another family ride at paragon would be great!

We actually did talk about dirt week and my wife seemed willing to go but then I looked up the date. :( My wife is a teacher and and I'm not willing to pull my daughter out of school to go riding. So unless sometime in the future they decide to hold dirt week during the summer I don't think I'll be going. At least not with the family, maybe sometime in the future I'll be able to go myself! ;)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Reviving this thread with an update.

My daughter has been hot & cold with riding since this report. She was having a ton of fun at the BMX track and didn't want to go dirt biking much and when she did she complained a lot, just when I thought we made a break through. :think:
We went to the track yesterday my daughter has been hesitant going back on the intermediate track. From what I have seen she gets intimidated when the track is crowded and usually on Sunday it is crowded. So we rode the short trail a bit then the beginner track. I started out following behind her a few times around the track and she started picking up speed, faster and faster each lap. I pulled off the track and just watched. :) She was doing great just railing those turns. She had the throttle pinned and agreed to let me turn out the throttle limiter so she can go faster.
One time as she was about to enter the track a boy on a pw50 pulled up next to her and said "you wanna race?", She opened up the throttle and took off. He opened it up and took off after her. he came up on her right and tried to passed she went into the second turn and accelerated out fast. I heard the kid say "WHOA!". After that turn there are two more turns close together she went through those quickly also. At the end of the track she finished about four bike lengths ahead of him. She pulled off the track next to me I said "you won!" she looked at me puzzled. I said "that boy asked if you wanted to race". "He did? I didn't hear him." :aj: :laugh:
I love riding with her on days like this, as long as she is having a good time so am I. I hope she keeps progressing I can't wait to get her on a bigger bike and go rip some trails with her. that is if I can keep up! :)

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by srellis
How's the wife doing?
Unfortunately my wife hasn't had time to join us since the last report. Hopefully she will get at least one more ride before she declares it's too cold to ride.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I've found that out here, since school started, there aren't as many at the track. It makes it easier for me to ride without having to worry about getting in the way.

Hopefuly she will continue to ride next year. Good luck!

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
hey GXDragon i live close by, and ride sometimes are NJORV in fact i just got home from there a little while ago. (but their prices are a bit HIGH even at the reduced rate of $50.00 bucks)

do you know where the Mt Holly suzuki/kawasaki dealer is on 206? there's girl who works there, she sells bikes and races enduro and i believe harescrambles. she rides a KX250 her name is Lisa Arsenault.

you might want to take the wife and daughter to meet her. she's a nice girl and ill bet she would be willing to help out in building some confidence.
girls like to talk to girls about riding i think more so then men. tell them your going window shopping the ladies love shopping. ;)

if ever your in the mood to ride drop me a line i ride the NJ area all the time.
on my dualsport bike. and i also try to ride paragon when ever i can. in fact i will be there sunday the 26th.

RedWingDS@msn.com

to get there take rt38 to rt206 make a right on 206. the WaWa and Amoco intersection right after the NJ inspection station. head down 206 fr about 3 miles or so. its on the left hand side.

if email me off line ill tell you a couple local spots in the NE area of Philly that your wife and daughter can get a little seat time.

take it easy ,
Red
"dirt biking good clean fun"

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Lisa won't be there for a couple/few weeks. She's off to the ISDE. But yeah, she's nice.

As for women liking to talk to other women about riding, more so than men. Put yourselves in our shoes. If you were into ballet, which is predominantly a chick thing, wouldn't you like to talk to other guys rather than chicks?
I would much rather ride with another female than a guy, as she probably has the same problems as me - bike too big/heavy, not as much upper body strength blah blah blah.

After about 5 years of riding, I'm just coming up to the point where I can pick & choose my riding buddies. Heck, I've got about 3 (not including two young girls), but I know others who ride with their partners only. I've got one other female I've yet to hook up with for a ride, but our timing is off.
Not all males are unsupportive of their partners & actually ride with them (okay, it was me who hated riding with my husband so preferred to ride alone). I took my husband shopping today - now I remember why I prefer to just go by myself. Heck, I knew what I wanted but got sidetracked by the fact that I needed a handbag & that was a drama. He got all motivated when I wanted to look at a bike though ;)

GXDragon, keep at it & all the best, see if your wife/daughter will come say hello in the women's forum - there's always room for one more - we'll just kick a guy out of his seat so she/they can take it over hehehe ;) And thanks for the updates - tell Lisa hi from Michelle in NZ ;)

Top Bottom