I am being told I'd be better off on a 4stroke, is this true?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Just one more 2-stroke versus 4-stroke question to make you all roll your eyes and groan. ;)

I currently ride a 2000 RM250 that I got in August. Up until then I had been riding a 1986 RM250, 1996 RM250, 1994 WR250, 2001 CR250 and occasionially a 2007 YZ250F( and no, these were not all my bikes, Dad's wr, and bikes that people stored here). I learned to ride on an RT100 and quickly moved up to Dad's WR. So I have always ridden 2-strokes. I like 2-strokes, and I have never thought about switching to a 4-stroke.

I do not race, just trail/mountain ride and I virtually always ride alone. And I am not a weekend warrior, I ride my bike every day, often more than once. So, my bike gets a lot more use than most bikes usually do. This 2000 RM250 I got is truly the most insane bike I have ever ridden. Way crazier than any of the other 2t 250's I have ridden. That may just be because it is a newer bike and is quite modded up.

People who have ridden my bike have gotten off of it and told me immediately that I should not be riding it, that I should sell it and get a 250f. That a 250f would fit me better, be safer, and suit my needs much better. I have been told that my bike is unsafe for a rider my size (5'6'' 130) especially since I am riding alone( and that bike is huge, like the tallest 250 I've ever been on...don't know why). I have also been told that with everyday riding, a 250f will last longer that a 2-stroke and cost me less in repairs. That 2-strokes are fun bikes for just weekend riders. Is this true? I know the 4-strokes are way better on gas, but when they break down they cost a lot more to fix than my 2-strokes will. I have ridden 250f's and find them really quite boring. No snap, or instant takeoffs. Nice bottom end, but to me thats about all they've got, and I can live with out it ( although I do spend a lot of time getting violently bucked off my RM).

Anyways, just wondering what your guy's opinions are. If you think its true that a 250F would stand up better and be more reliable for everyday riding than a 250 2t. Or if people are just jealous because the little girl can outbike them :p ( that is when I am still on my bike.... not when my bike is on me :laugh: )

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
People are just jealous. Make sure you roost the sh!t out of them! You are definately flirting with disaster riding that much bike, but it will ALWAYS be MUCH cheaper to repair a catastrophic failure than a 250f. Simply the amount of moving parts. A 250f is definately much more predictable and I've found mine to be just as responsive as my RM250. The problem you face is the amount of hours you put on. You probly do in a week what mine saw all season this year. If you want a mellower bike that will run forever get an xr250 or 400.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
I disagree also..I've been riding two strokes for about 30 years and I have never had one fail on me...call me lucky but, if you maintain your bike well it should last you a very long time. I always change my top end a couple times a year, check the crank while it's apart,change my oil every couple rides and make sure my jetting is set right for where I am riding that day. It's your ride. if you feel comfortable on it then ride it....

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
For size, i think take what you can handle and feel well with.
4 stroke would be better for a everyday use but, if mecanic is not a problem, 2 stroke is more fun :P.

I know friend here wich go ride in woods the summer and they go for 5-6 day rides everyonce and they ride they bike ALOT they are all 2 strokers and mecanic dude. They usually check the top end compression once in a while or when they notice it seem to miss some conpression they make a new top end.

So i say, see whats the best for you to your need/taste, if doing the repair/mecanic is not a problem and you like your 2 stroke keep with it. If the mecanic/maintenance is a problem to do often then go with 4 stroke.

But when a 4 stroke top end go, you usually need to also make the engine base, the cam/crank shaft will be gone soon because of the never higher compression/pressure of the new top end so it also need to be rebuild with the top end, thats like 1600$+ rebuilding a 4 stroke engine because of the more expensive part/labor, + it need valve checked/adjusted every-so often...

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I suspect the people that are telling you that are not used to encountering a woman that can ride!

The 2/4 stroke debate isn't going to really make a difference on the size of the bike. A MX bike is going to be tall. If you buy an "off road" bike it won't be so tall. This comes at a price, however. The off road models have far less suspension travel.

My experience has been that the height of the bike only matters when you need to put a foot down. I have totally embarrassed myself when I have pulled up to my riding buddies, put my foot down only to discover that I stopped over a hole and the ground wasn't where I expected it to be and I simply fall over. I am 6' tall, so I would expect someone 6" shorter to either have that happen more often or learn to look before they stop.

Another time I put a foot down where height would be an issue is going up or down a steep hill. Perhaps if I was a better rider I would leave my feet on the pegs where they belong! If I couldn't reach the ground anyway it would certainly provide more incentive to do it right.

Getting back on the bike and going again after a fall on a hill is perhaps the one area that I think it would effect you the most. Again, if you don't fall it isn't an issue.

There is the same argument for durability. The "off road" models have de-tuned engines, lower compression ratios, built to last forever. You can pretty much do nothing but change the oil and they will last a long time. The MX bikes trade durability for performance. It doesn't matter if it is 2 or 4 stroke, the top end needs to be rebuilt on a regular basis. Due to the extra mechanical stuff a four stroke involves more labor to rebuild.

For a given amount of power a two stroke will be lighter, which an be an issue when you have to pick the bike up after a fall. An even bigger issue after the n'th fall.

I disagree that a YZ250F will "fit you better" than your current RM250. Isn't their seat heights about the same?

If you enjoy your 2 stroke then why change?

I suggest you keep your mind open to four strokes and judge them on their merits. But don't go thinking that you need to scale down because simply because some people have a hard time accepting a woman riding a powerful MX bike.

Rod

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
_JOE_ said:
People are just jealous. Make sure you roost the sh!t out of them!

Lol, great advice! I have actually recieved quite a few complaints about that very thing. I occasionially ride with my cousin who rides an '07 KLX250. The other day we were rippin along with me in the front, and stopped for a little rest. He comes up beside me looking mad as hell, and with an injury on the the bridge of his nose. I was rather passioniatley informed that my "!@#$ing bike" flings rocks mercilessly. I told him that he shouldn't be riding on my a$$ then .He just gave my bike an evil glare and told me that he had been at least 50ft behind me when the rock(s) were hitting him. I have a few rather interesting roosting stories, but I will spare you the details :blah:

I am pretty comfortable on my bike. I guess its because i've been riding the 250 mx bikes for so long that its pretty much all I am used to. I have tried the trail-built bikes and find them ruthlessly boring, and for their size very heavy, which is a problem for me. Yeah, I drop my bike all the time, gives stop, drop, and roll a whole new meaning. And yes, my RM250 is taller than the '07 and '08 250F that I have ridden, taller than the '96RM too. Not sure why, the suspension is set as soft as it will go ( although it has a racetech spring meant for a heavier than average rider). The seat to footpeg distance seems larger than on most of the other bikes I have ridden too, also it has got bar risers on it. My Dad is 6'6'' and looks scrunched on almost any bike he gets on, but he looks pretty average on mine. It is just a really tall roomy bike meant for a taller than average rider. When I test rode it, the reason I chose it was the insane power (hits like a freight train), seemed snappier than any of the KX's, CR's and other bikes that I had tried. I just decided to look past the sheer enormous size of it. But, for a bike its size, it feels very narrow, like riding a fence rail, which is good for me and my shorter legs. I can really move around on it and keep my balance well.

Thanks for the advice everybody. I know my bike is physicially and powerwise way too much for me, but it hasn't killed me yet. I just don't see a 4 stroke suiting my style and needs the way it may suit others. My bike has taught me a lot, heck, I have even perfected the art of going over backwards without busting my rear fender! Its kind've a giveaway when you come riding back into the yard missing a fender, makes parents freak out. :nod:
A shorter, and less tricked out 2 stroke 250 would probably suit me better, but I like my bike, and I think I will just tough it out, what doesn't kill me makes me a better rider :boss:

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
When out of all the bikes I had to choose from, I chose this one, it was based on some less that intelligent criteria.

When I got on it my thoughts were, " wow, its really cool looking, really modded up, really big and flashy, and wow, insanely powerful. This bike could kick almost anybody's butt, this thing will be close to unbeatable, I'll rule the trails on this, and look hot doing it." But my thoughts should have been, " This bike is bigger than average, I do not need this much power, a bike that hits this hard is dangerous on trails, this thing was all tweaked to be on a racetrack, and it is going to kick MY butt, maybe a closer to stock 250 would suit my needs better".

Sometimes I truly question my own intelligence. It is true that some expirienced riders are amazed by my bike's power. I have had a few people offer to buy it from me for racing. It is one of the snappiest 250 2t around here, I am quite proud to own and ride it. Definitley an eye catcher. But many times I have had that bike go straight up on me when all I wanted was a little acceleration. It has busted up my helmet visor to pieces becasue I have hit my face on the bars so many times almost going over backwards. Chest gets it too sometimes. It bucks me off regualrly in a vairety of different styles. Maybe next time I am in a situation like this, I will go for the one that suits me, not the fanciest. Until then, I love my bike, and I have no plans on selling it.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
just some suggestions that are obvious. take the risers off, put the spring for your weight front and back, set your static and race sag and you might look into narrowing the handle bars. I'm 5'6" and I cut 1" off both sides. You would be surprised what those mods would do for you..

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I had an 02 rm250 before the crf. It was a bit taller than the honda is and the top of the seat was almost flat. You can see it in my gallery, the dip in the middle was maybe an inch lower than either end. That bike has an INSANE midrange. It's down-right explosive and like you say, throws anything the rear tire can grab a long distance.

I agree with kaboom, take the risers off and trim the bars. I can't stand stock width bars, I cut at least an inch off each side. You can also shave the seat foam down in the middle and reinstall the cover for free (an electric carving knife works great).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm less concerned with the fact that you ride a two stroke than I am with the idea of you riding by yourself.

Find a buddy, please.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
XRpredator said:
I'm less concerned with the fact that you ride a two stroke than I am with the idea of you riding by yourself.

Find a buddy, please.
+1! Even another skirt and high heels chick. :nener: Riding alone is the most dangerous thing you can do.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
XRpredator said:
Find a buddy, please.

I would have to agree on this but as far as the bike is concerned if you like the power and can handle it go for it. I would cut down the seat foam a bit and maybe have the suspension lowered a bit.

Steve

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Stick with the smoker. Sounds like you have no real issue with the RM - so why pay the money for a bike that will cost you way more in the long run?

If you want to make the power delivery of the RM much easier to manage consider a flywheel weight (around $120 ish new, maybe $60 to $75 if you can find a used one), and a G2 Throttle Cam system with the 400 cam installed (around $100 as I recall). Those two are both very easy to install and a sure thing. Both of these make throttle control dramatically easier. The flywheel weight also helps a great deal to avoid stalling when riding low speed technical stuff like ultra tight woods, rocks and logs.

And maybe some jetting changes - not sure if this applies to a RM - but if it happens to run a triple taper needle - try a straight taper for smoother power delivery. I know with KTMs there is tons of jetting info out there for exactlyt this - maybe same for RMs - if not, it might be trial and error.

And again, not sure if it applies to a RM - but the various models of KTM's power valves can easily be adjusted to fine tune power delivery.

With some or all of those changes, you can make a HUGE difference in the power delivery of a bike. We did various combos of those when my son first started on his KTM 200. As he gained confidence and experience, we then moved it a step at a time back towards more agressive power delivery.

Oh - as others said, do consider making sure the spring rates are right for your weight, and preload, sag etc. is set up properly for you. And...you can address seat height with different dog leg links for the rear shock - or suspension front and rear can be lowered...or maybe a cut down seat.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I have a riding bud who's wife rides too (woods.) She's a tough lady, and can generally hang in there all day with us on some often truly brutal trailrides. She rode big wheel 80's and lowered 125's for years. Her husband got her a Yam WR250F a few years ago, and she's like a whole new rider... she says the friendlier power delivery is very easy to get along with... wishes she had one YEARS ago.

digifox

May 25, 2006
i`d never switch from a 250 to a 250F.

there is NO match for the power in a 2T

There is also alot more to go wrong in a 4 stroke. . .(DOHC single has 4 valves and 2 cams duh. . .a "timing" chain oil pumps,etc.)

Where as a 2t you got piston,rings,cylinder. . .and premix. . . .

ALOT less to get screwed up. . .

And besides a 2 stroke is more fun. lol thats all i ride(off-road)

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If you want to try narrower bars, buy a new set and trim them. That way you can revert back to your original bars if you don't like it! You might also want to mark the exact position they are in before you loosen anything up.

Rod

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
not trying to step on toes here but, if she likes them (if she even tries it)then she wasted money on a new set of bars for no reason. if she doesn't like them then she has reason to spend the money on new bars. my point is why buy new bars until you have to...just my reasoning.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
kaboom1371 said:
not trying to step on toes here but, if she likes them (if she even tries it)then she wasted money on a new set of bars for no reason. if she doesn't like them then she has reason to spend the money on new bars. my point is why buy new bars until you have to...just my reasoning.
I agree. :)

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Retard your ignition timing (free !) and get a heavier flywheel. Your bike will be much easier to ride ( less crashing when alone- you are obviously tough, but not indestructible) .

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Thanks for all the support guys. I was just looking for opinions, and so far they mostly match mine ;)

Hey funfactor1, where in Canada are you from?

Top Bottom