caguyinaustin

Oct 10, 2006
Okay, since I didn't hear back from you vintage experts out there I took a chance and bought it ('76 Maico 400). If you want to check it out, go to e-bay item number 140189940212. I just couldn't resist this blast from the past. Let me know what issues you have with this bike. I read that the '81 490 is the Maico to have, but this seems like a great "starter" Vintage bike. This is bike number 1 of the collection I always dreamed of (now realized because I am no longer married)! I appreciate any input you may have.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
Very nice bike. Maico's are known for good power and awesome cornering. They also have a reputation for poor reliability. I think the motoplat ignition is one of the first things people raplace on those for reliability. PVL ingnitions are very popular with the Maico owners I know. Regularly inspect the primary chain,(connects the crank to the clutch instead of Jap bikes with gear driven clutch), for stretch. Some people don't like the Bing either and replace with Mikuni.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Nice bike! You might ask the owner if he has checked the topend and replaced the chain on it. If taken care of it is a really fun bike to ride... I ride a '77 and I enjoy it more than my '81 490 due to the tall seat height.

We have a large vintage race presence in Texas. This year we had 2 vintage nationals, the first being out past Tyler and the other in Sherman. The old pro's were out in force this year(Ron Pomeroy rode my '74 Husky and John DeSoto rode my '81 490) and the events were alot of fun!

Send me an email and I'll fill you in further...
ernz@wt.net

Top Bottom