I Cant Firgue This Carb Out!!!

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
ok i have 2002 kdx 200 with gnary pipe and slincer fmf no air box lid with this done shouldnt my bike run lean but it seems to still be rich iv turned the air screw out 1/8 turn i havent changed the jets of moved the clip. im not to good with 2 cycle carbs .the bike seems to run good but still getting smooge all over my frender and leaking smooge for the head pipe and silincer. im running 32/1 oil@gas and br8es plug any help would be great thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!! p.s i live in north caroilna and it humid as heck and about 90 deg all day if that helps.

kdxjr

Jan 2, 2002
Take the top off the carb, then pull the spring out of the shinny silver thing. Push the throttle cable down and out it comes from a groove, take a 6mm socket remove the bolt the throttle cable was in. Under that bolt is the needle, on the needle take the plastic end of a scewdriver push the clip off,move it to the second groove from the top. That will lean it a bit, try 40/1 ratio..

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Might want to start here. I suggest you stop by your friendly dealer tomorrow & pick up a 155 & 152 main, and 45 & 42 pilot to have something to work on this weekend. But read the carb lesson first. :cool:

If your air screw is only out 1/8 turn from fully seated, I'm surprised it will start. Might want to begin around 1 full turn. Have fun.

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Fast
Your stock jets are 160 main, 48 pilot, 1174-3 these are too rich even with the airbox lid removed. I would suggest at least 155/45. Check out the link above from Jay for more detailed advise.

If you can afford a 2002 KDX than you can afford a service manual, this will come in handy in the future. Dirtbikes are high maintainance items ya know.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by SQUIRLEYMOFO
40 TO 1 RATIO IS ACTUALLY RICHER? RIGHT?

Fuel wise yes. Think of ratio's like fractions. 1/40th oil to 1 gallon of fuel.
1/40th is a smaller fractin than 1/32nd or to simplify even more drop the second digit: 1/4 to 1/3 which is more? ;)

SQUIRLEYMOFO

Jun 11, 2002
Right I know that thats what I'm trying to say if its rich why would you mix the fuel 40/1 instead of 32/1?????????????/

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Use exaggeration to make a point.

32:1 gives you spooge?

What would you get with 1:1? One gallon of oil, one gallon of gasoline.

A lot more spooge, that's for sure...well, theoretically. Doubt it would start.

Yes...oozing spooge is more likely a too rich (too much fuel) problem, but oil and the amount of it can have an effect.

re: ratios. 40:1 gas-to-oil is MORE parts gas to oil than 32:1 is. More gas is more rich(er?;) )

fast:
The link 23jay gave you? I reiterate that tip. DO read that site pretty much one end to the other. Hardly a day goes by that questions asked on this forum aren't already answered on CDave's site!! It's good!!

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by SQUIRLEYMOFO
Right I know that thats what I'm trying to say if its rich why would you mix the fuel 40/1 instead of 32/1?????????????/

Oil causes spooge. More oil(or worn rings)32:1 is thicker than 40:1, oil wise, causes spooge or it can be the shiznit at the bottom of your pipe blowing out.

fast 200

Jul 24, 2002
thank for all help i gonna fix this jetting prob tonight this is one great site for help!!!!!!!!!!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Oil causes spooge

I disagree. It's more 'too rich' air/fuel wise than oil that causes the drips.

Strictly speaking, spooge=oil..that's what it is after all...but it's not the 'too much' of it in a particular ratio that's the issue.

from jaybird:
..one needs to have the jetting curcuits ironed out no matter what ratio you run. DO NOT chase a spooge problem with ratio. It is a futile exercise.

From CDave:
Have you done any jetting since the bike was new? The spoog build-up might well be the result of running too rich?

from fishhead:
The main cause of spooge as it is called is low combustion temp so the oil isn't burning in the combustion chamber. The usual cure is to lean out the air fuel ratio to increase the combustion temp and get a clean burn.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
K canyncarvr
So basicly what you stated in your very long post is that he should try Thin mix and a hot plug.

Phillip

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
how i see it ,a rich condition is the result of ammt of fuel not oil.rich/lean is about fuel,on the topic of premix i hate using the terms rich/lean it should b reserved for jets cause they control FUEL flow. at 40:1 the ratio of fuel is greater in the mix than 32:1...ex 2 gal gas 6 oz oil =40:1 ,2 gal 8 oz = 32:1,since we agree it's about fuel u can see ur givin the engine more fuel at 40:1 .wish i had a buck every time i hear "goin to 40:1 gotta leaner out some" most think less oil = leaner.besides that i could jet my bike for best performance at either mix ,why people think it's a jetting tool i have no idea?i go 40:1 ,only reason ....i'm cheap my oil goes farther :) i could b all wet here but that's how i see it ,cc b gentle w me lol.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
gooby
Mojo to a concise thread! canyncarvr I am by no means trying to jump you. But I am pretty sure that the unburnt fuel ends up causing the spooge by cleansing the pipe. I didn't make that clear in my post and you did a good job covering it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…